Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 03:35 PM

Re: Do you remember your first colour TV?

Our first colour TV was a 27" PYE model rented from Radio Rentals and was connected to the Link system (forerunner of cable type systems?). Possibly 1966 to take advantage of the World Cup?

I remember they used to show programs during the day on BBC2 to demonstrate how colour TVs were made and how they worked, and how they needed to be `degaussed` from time to time to remove the static charge built up on the screen. All fascinating stuff. They also used to show foreign produced films on how things were built, they had no dialogue and one that sticks in the memory is the rebuild of a vintage car.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 03:36 PM

They didn't really have a good handle on colour those first sets - I can remember wild oranges, greens and purples.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 07:56 PM

Yes. I remember going on a family outing with my dad in the early 70s to a local supplier called Rediffusion to get a colour telly. Long time ago.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
At one time we had a colour tv in a cabinet, with doors that closed on it. I thought it quite posh.
We had one of those with doors that closed over the screen as well Jazzi .... I thought ours was posh too!
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2018, 09:04 PM

The 66 World Cup was still in B&W .But there was the film Goal which had all the goals and was in colour we saw at the cinema.

Our first colour tv was ,like most people, from Radio Rentals some time in the 70's.
Ragdoll
Surrey,UK
Ragdoll is female  Ragdoll has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2018, 11:18 AM

Went onto google this morning, as last night I was sure I remember watching the '66 cup in colour, and yes I did, it was the first sporting event to be broadcast in Colour. This according to the BBC Licensing.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2018, 05:14 PM

We were definitely the last of any family I knew to get one
My dad finally succumbed before the 1978 World Cup because my brothers must have moaned about it sooo much

I remember being in awe of it for a while
Even the spinning earth on BBC had colour!
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2018, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ragdoll ->
Went onto google this morning, as last night I was sure I remember watching the '66 cup in colour, and yes I did, it was the first sporting event to be broadcast in Colour. This according to the BBC Licensing.
That's very interesting RD.Can you direct me to the source of your info.I thought Wimbledon of 67 was the first.
Ragdoll
Surrey,UK
Ragdoll is female  Ragdoll has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2018, 09:32 PM

Sorry Psmith, but I don't know how to post links, but if you google it you will see, and yes it does state that Wimbledon was the second in '67. Please believe me I didn't post to score points, it was that I was doubting myself and my memory.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2018, 09:34 PM

I do, I remember being mesmerised and glued to it. We used to put coins in ours

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top