Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 08:16 PM

Re: Do material things make you happy?

Absolutely not I can be just as miserable with a Porsche as anyone else !
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Absolutely not I can be just as miserable with a Porsche as anyone else !
Similar to my Gran's saying "It may not buy me happiness but, I'd rather be rich and unhappy than poor and unhappy"
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-10-2017, 10:52 PM

I'm not sure how to reply to this, but ... As a life long cook, and baker, I'd be lost and miserable without my kitchen equipment. So, since I love cooking ...
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 09:16 AM

I learned a long time ago material things don't make me happy . I'm quite minimalistic now and prefer it that way .

Now my son I think was born to be materialistic , as a child he had very little yet now has the newest this and that , motorbikes , cars , clothes . This week he told me he was thinking of buying a brand new porsche , yet he drives a Porsche , it's immaculate , I can't understand why he wants to exchange his black porsche for a newer black porsche , I can't get my head round it . Next month he'll want to change his fandabbydozy motorbike for another one . We are talking thousands of £ too .
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 12:07 PM

I love my Teddy bears & cuddlies. Expensive ones, no tat. I collect lots of things, guess that is being materialistic, as I buy more & more.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 12:31 PM

Whatever makes you happy, be it material or not, can’t be bad.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 12:47 PM

I am not at all materialistic, even when it comes to making my life easier, I usually manage to talk myself out of purchases. I live very frugally, by choice, I dont need "things" to make me happy. Most of my furniture I bought from an auction mart forty years ago.

A bag of books from a charity shop gives me great pleasure.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2017, 12:55 PM

I always used to think I was a tad materialistic, not in having the latest...whatever, more in not denying myself the things I wanted.

However, over the last few years I have been exposed to some very materialistic people, ones who don't care what things cost as long as it's the latest model, often running up huge debt and running to Mum for help when there's no money to pay the credit card bill.

Compared to that then no, I'm not materialistic but I suppose I'm lucky to be in a position where if I want something I can usually have it. But that's not to say I always give in to myself. My car is pretty old, my clothes are bought in sales and there are no designer labels here! But let me loose in the hardware aisle of B&Q.........
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 04:47 AM

It's strange but I'm currently listening to a very spiritual Roy Harper song. The equipment to do so (phone and wireless headphones) cost me over a grand.

But music gives me so much pleasure.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2017, 06:57 AM

I think as you get older material things matter less, that could well be its because we have acquired most things we need throughout our lives. Have to admit I miss that feeling when we were young and we saved for that something we must have

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top