Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 07:52 AM

Re: Power

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

This is an interesting thread, Bakerman, have you considered those who are adept at manipulation - that is also a form of power, if a less obvious one.
Bakerman asks:
Interesting idea. Could you elaborate on manipulators.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 08:12 AM

Some can ask a question where there appears to be an option(yes/no) but can manipulate the answer to suit, with a little intimidation in the tone.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 08:42 AM

Water and wind are soft, yet can wield tremendous power, the supplicant may one day be unleashed if ill treat. Raise the Fyrd.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Water and wind are soft, yet can wield tremendous power, the supplicant may one day be unleashed if ill treat. Raise the Fyrd.
Bakerman:

Perfect Nom. That was the word I was trying to dredge up out of the dim recesses of my mind ---supplicant. If you don't mind I'll be using that, somewhere in my thread ?
Fyrd, now that's olde English ! Nice.
bakerman
Mexico

27-09-2017, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Some can ask a question where there appears to be an option(yes/no) but can manipulate the answer to suit, with a little intimidation in the tone.
bakerman
Yes, now that I think about it, you are right. Wow ! Flashback to my step-father. Nasty !
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 09:26 AM

Power is not black and white. There are informal networks that influence how much power someone has. There is also personality, charisma, the power of persuasion, charm. A smile and flattery can work wonders if the person smiling is skilled at getting what they want. The manner in which we communicate is also key and there is a great deal of power in silence. By that I mean knowing when to talk and knowing when to create a silent space. This can make your adversary nervous and disarmed. I am not very good at this myself, but know a couple of friends who use it very effectively. Being calmer and more self-possessed than your adversary is one of the most effective ways of getting what you want. Those who lose their cool are least likely to get ahead, unless they are psychopaths or narcissistic manipulators (which deserves a whole topic on its own!).
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 09:35 AM

The worst are the power hungry who make other's lives a misery.
A powerful man can be an aphrodisiac to some women.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 09:42 AM

Some people have power and use it wisely others should never have been given it s they use it to bully and belittle.
bakerman
Mexico

27-09-2017, 09:43 AM

Sometimes, power is black and white. Not always, mind you. Just sometimes.
I have a few specific situations in mind. I will, however, be getting to that much later
bakerman
Mexico

27-09-2017, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Some people have power and use it wisely others should never have been given it s they use it to bully and belittle.
Bakerman asks
Julie can you think of a specific situation where a bully is asking ? It's late at night and I'm a bit tired but it seems to me that bullies don't ask, they order.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top