Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 01:39 PM

Re: Isn't it time that actors shut their gobs?

Yes, they should button it, the geezer ain't physically done anything to rag anyone off yet.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 01:42 PM

The sad part of it is that people would rather listen to a celebrity than a politician or indeed someone who actually knows what they're talking about.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Magoo ->
For my part it seems quite reasonable to use the opportunity raise a matter of concern since you know that your comments will be publicised. If Trump throws a tantrum – so be it.
If it's castigating him for his mockery of a disabled person, which it was, then the more publicity the better.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Meryl Streep and the like using the awards to vent their political views. Shouldn't they just stick to the general back-slapping that the awards were invented for? Do these people think they are so important that they can lecture everyone else? It wouldn't be so bad if it was balanced but it isn't.

Whether we like Trump or not is beside the point. Should these actors just accept the award, thank God, blub a bit then get off?

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/0...050146626.html
Yes, another poor loser throwing her dummy out of her pram.

The 'celebrities' seem to think they are the object of everyone's attention and are regarded as gods/goddesses by the ordinary general public.

Modesty? What's that?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 02:29 PM

So what if, an actor was a Trump supporter? Would they be allowed to voice their opinion and would they ever be nominated again.

I'm not a Trump supporter by the way.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 02:34 PM

The hypocrisy of Hollywoood, when a genuine disabled actor gets a leading role, then their whingeing might have some influence. Eddie Redmayne film about Stephen Hawking an example.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
The hypocrisy of Hollywoood, when a genuine disabled actor gets a leading role, then their whingeing might have some influence. Eddie Redmayne film about Stephen Hawking an example.
Excellent point

It's like when they used to blacken actors' faces to play Indians.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 02:54 PM

I thought she was out of order, as it wasn't the place for her to vent her grievance.
I don't think she has done herself any favours.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2017, 02:58 PM

I am in 2 minds on this because I like Meryl Streep and, having seen what Trump did, she did have a very good reason.

On the other hand perhaps the Awards were not the best place to do it.

Having said that, if I felt strongly about something similar, I probably wouldn't be able to resist the urge to say so... no matter where I was!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

10-01-2017, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I am in 2 minds on this because I like Meryl Streep and, having seen what Trump did, she did have a very good reason.

On the other hand perhaps the Awards were not the best place to do it.

Having said that, if I felt strongly about something similar, I probably wouldn't be able to resist the urge to say so... no matter where I was!
Ha ha! No, I agree neither would I but it does seem to be a regular occurrence at these events.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top