Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 03:59 PM

Re: Let Down

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Aysa I think it depends on what sort of relationship you have had with these family members. If it is somebody close, gently ask them why they let you down.
They may have problems of their own to deal with.
They may not understand how important their support is to you.
You have been through a difficult time with you health, in recent months, and maybe they are not as able to deal with it, as well you are.
When you are ill family will often support you, but as soon as you show them you are getting better, they tend to assume you can manage and no longer need their support. Both you and I know that we do still need them, but if they don't, it wouldn't do any harm to mention that you miss their help.
its my older sis Twink and there's no talking "gently" with her ....she just sees it as her place in life to tell me to get out and get a job and to stop whining and do things on my own and get used to it ....apparently seeing as Im not imminently dying from my cancer then Im fine now and I can go to my hospital appointments alone ....Ive asked for help on numerous occasions only to be told by her to get on with things like others have to.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
What do you do when certain members of your family constantly keep letting you down and are not supportive(they are actively negative) of your lifestyle or life....?

It seems very true .."you can choose who your friends are but you cant choose your family"

Stop hoping for their support Aysa.
My brother was just like that. One day it dawned on me he was a totally selfish git, and I stopped expecting any help - that's when I finally felt free and he couldn't hurt me anymore.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 04:02 PM

Sound like good words of advice there Mups....Im waiting for the day she might actually need some help from me .....its taken for granted that I will drop everything and rush to her aid as and when she ever calls..
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 04:07 PM

Sound like good words of advice there Mups....Im waiting for the day she might actually need some help from me .....its taken for granted that I will drop everything and rush to her aid as and when she ever calls..

Well that is something you will need to make a decision over, Aysa. I don't know your situation, so can't say, but I'm guessing it depends on whether you can walk away without feeling bad about it.
I wouldn't do anything out of malice, but I would for self-preservation. X
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK

03-09-2016, 04:10 PM

Im all for a bit of self preservation ...I was always the little young mouse who wouldnt say boo to a goose....well now the older ive become the more Im sticking up for myself and she hates that cos Ive told her a few home truths on more than one occasion now.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2016, 05:24 PM

its my older sis Twink and there's no talking "gently" with her ....she just sees it as her place in life to tell me to get out and get a job and to stop whining and do things on my own and get used to it ....apparently seeing as Im not imminently dying from my cancer then Im fine now and I can go to my hospital appointments alone ....Ive asked for help on numerous occasions only to be told by her to get on with things like others have to.
Then all I can say is your sister is being a bitch! They say that cancer is a lonely illness, and it sure is, but anybody who has been through it knows that it isn't just physically damaging, it can be emotionally and psychologically damaging, and the best way to get through it is having somebody who cares to help and support you. I had 12 weeks of Chemo and my sister got up at 3am each night to check that I was ok. My school friend is suffering badly now, and if she called me anytime, day or night, I would drive 30 miles to be with her.... and I am still attending my own hospital check ups after four and a half years.
I wouldn't be questioning why she lets you down, I would be questioning how much she cares, because if I lived in your region I would have no problem going to your appointments with you. We all need support sometimes, and one day it could be her that needs it, so she should think about that!
You should also remind her that many others don't have to go it alone, because they have a family that care.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top