Join for free
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 09:21 AM

Re: Uncle Joe in the hot seat.

As you are a communist why don't you choose to live in a communist country like Russia where you can't say what you think, against living in a democratic free speech country like England ?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
From your albums your a well traveled man. Do you have a favourite part of the world. ?
I had a 'brilliant' teacher in my first year at senior school who taught us 'ancient' history. This piqued my interest which has remained with me ever since. When, a few years ago, I got an opportunity to visit Egypt and see the temples and tombs along the Nile valley I jumped at the chance. Have subsequently visited yprus and seen a huge archeological site in Paphos and later this year will be visiting the island of Rhodes and hopefully seeing some of the ancient tombs and ancient civilisation cities etc. Given all I have said I suppose a favourite part of the world has to be along the Mediterranean - where its warm and a lot more sunny than here.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
I had a 'brilliant' teacher in my first year at senior school who taught us 'ancient' history. This piqued my interest which has remained with me ever since. When, a few years ago, I got an opportunity to visit Egypt and see the temples and tombs along the Nile valley I jumped at the chance. Have subsequently visited yprus and seen a huge archeological site in Paphos and later this year will be visiting the island of Rhodes and hopefully seeing some of the ancient tombs and ancient civilisation cities etc. Given all I have said I suppose a favourite part of the world has to be along the Mediterranean - where its warm and a lot more sunny than here.
UJ, would you agree that politics aside, the SYSTEM has bought you to a relatively comfortable place?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 11:39 AM

UJ - Which politician - past or present, do you have most admiration for and why?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 11:40 AM

UJ what sort of music do you enjoy ?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
UJ - Which politician - past or present, do you have most admiration for and why?
Margaret Thatcher, I reckon.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
UJ, would you agree that politics aside, the SYSTEM has bought you to a relatively comfortable place?

No, far from it - my parents struggled, and I too have had a hard struggle too, now I have to struggle with health issues caused by past struggles.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

17-05-2016, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
There are a number of politicians that have had an influence on my life. I wouldn't go so far as to say admiration, since I'm not into hero worship or personality cult. Obviously one of them was Nye Bevan - I'm a 'Bevan child' being born several months after the establishment of the welfare state. The political theorists Karl Marx & Frederick Engels, the Politicians and revolutionaries Vladimir Illich Lenin, Regis Debray, Fidel Castro, Leon Trotsky, Gregory Zinoviev.

More recently and domestically Tony Benn, who I knew personally, Clive Jenkins Who I also knew personally.

Currently I know and correspond with fairly regularly - Dr Caroline Lucas.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

17-05-2016, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
UJ what sort of music do you enjoy ?
My taste in music is, contradictorily, very conservative - I love 'classical' music and in particular Opera. I have attended operatic performances in Prague, Moscow and St: Petersburg and adored every moment.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2016, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
My taste in music is, contradictorily, very conservative - I love 'classical' music and in particular Opera. I have attended operatic performances in Prague, Moscow and St: Petersburg and adored every moment.
That's great UJ I wouldn't call it conservative either as many operas were originally written for the working class and many are quite avant guard in nature.

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top