Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2010, 08:47 PM

Re: Where did your Surname come from?

But what does it matter?

The only two relatives to have influenced me were my Uncle John-devout Christian and man enough to have said no to war-he served in the fields and took the `conshie` insults..

And then my maternal Grandfather-taught me how to play cribbage and seldom mentioned 1914-18

Boy you don`t want to know We were on the fire step and this boy kept sticking his head up-I told him to stay down but he kept sticking it up.

BANG his head was blown off.

You can see all the footage you like but that has stayed with me forever
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2010, 07:49 PM

My surname through marriage originates in Surrey and means "God Child" as our ancestors were the illigitimate children of the monks of a monastry...
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2010, 08:59 AM

My married surname is simply a scottish place name; my maiden name was an ancient rural trade

It's quite interesting thinking of these things
Is anyone an ancestry fan? Done any tracing?
I've not - my people were poor country folk, I can't believe there would be very much there and certainly nothing of interest. I'd like someone else to do it for me though - my own Who Do You Think You Are?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2010, 02:00 PM

My maiden name originates from a now lost medieval village in Yorkshire. The village is first recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086.

My married name is of French origin.

There are also 3 towns of the same name in the UK.
june1958
Lancashire
june1958 is female  june1958 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2010, 10:35 PM

My name is first documented in the 12 century. The most famous being a man who saved the life of Charles II whilst Cromwells army were searching for him. He was richly rewarded after the reformation! Yeah, I can see me having heroic brave, ancestors, my dad was one of the strongest bravest men I ever knew!!

June x
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2010, 10:46 PM

What an interesting thing to know about your ancestry! I suspect mine were poor peasants, with maybe the obligatory black sheep thrown in....
june1958
Lancashire
june1958 is female  june1958 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2010, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
What an interesting thing to know about your ancestry! I suspect mine were poor peasants, with maybe the obligatory black sheep thrown in....
I think mine were ne'er do goods they must have done something wrong coz no cash came down the family lol we were an extremely poor family

June x
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2010, 04:15 PM

My family will be known as `flirty laugh-clone ` Yes fame beyond the grave and a posh double barreled name.

After the great atomic,intergallatic war of 2074 the world will be rebuilding,cosmic peace will reign but there wil be a need for humour and a way to increase the population..

I`ll be dead but my DNA may yet raise a smile and it could be amusing-Captain-this DNA has the `flirt` compound.

Sergeant-whatever you do don`t cross it with ultra feminists of the same era-that is why the world in your history books ended
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2010, 05:06 PM

"Please accept our appologies but this surname has yet to be researched."

That's what I get for having a Polish surname!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2012, 05:21 PM

I'm totally bananas about anything to do with family history.

I had trouble with my mum's maiden name for years ... until I discovered her great grandfather had changed the surname.
After much research I found out her dad, her granddad and her G-granddad were all born, wed and died with different surnames. Three surnames all on the go.
Why?
Well ... her G-grandad was possibly a bigamist.
Her G-grandma was an incurable cleptomaniac. I found out that out of a period of 15 years she spent 8 of them in prison. I call her Laura the Linen & laundry thief. I've never found a death certificate for her.
But the real surname?
The jury is out.
That site and the commonly accepted origin is Irish.
Meself I prefer a theory that is knicking about and gaining ground since a boffin from the Oxford Bodleian Library did research, that is, my ancestors came over with William the Conqueror. A Baron but he was probably just the tea boy instead.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top