Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 05:23 PM

Re: This is odd ........

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Cannot provide a link on the phone, but google waste electrical goods, you will find they have to take the old one.
Thank you - will try that

No one has answered the question - have they ........?
Why is it I would be allowed to take the freezer to the tip ?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 05:26 PM

I take it you have already bought the new freezer? Quite a number of big companies operate a 'Recycling' service for old appliances and will take the old one away for you, for instance ...

Currys Recycling
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/recycle-1042-theme.html

Originally Posted by Currys
Please note: If your product is being delivered directly by the manufacturer, recycling is available for replacement products only; i.e. an old fridge freezer will be taken away if you’re having a new fridge freezer delivered.
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
We are finally going to get an auto defrost freezer, neither of us can face defrosting any more
So, we will need the freezer we have, taken away
I phoned a company - 'no we can't take it to the tip' says he
they won't allow it because of the gases
Now here's the bit that puzzled me 'But you can put it in yer car and take it yerself'
Why is it we can take it, but not a company .............?
Where we live it has become the custom to put unwanted white goods on the drive outside the house and the local scrap man will come and take them away. He tours round looking for things. No idea what he does with them. On the other hand we had a small working fridge left in the bungalow when we moved in, surplus to requirement, so we rang Help the Aged and they came ant took it away.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 05:34 PM

Very grateful Annie - worth a try
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

08-01-2016, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I take it you have already bought the new freezer? Quite a number of big companies operate a 'Recycling' service for old appliances and will take the old one away for you, for instance ...

Currys Recycling
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/recycle-1042-theme.html
Mark - that's interesting because I have ordered the freezer from Currys and was pleased when I saw they would dispose of the old one but - when I phoned to order, they said it was coming direct from manufacturer so they 'cannot' dispose of it
The quote you have given above, I did not see and that quote suggests they 'should' take it - I will have to get in touch with them again
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

08-01-2016, 05:38 PM

Cannot provide a link on the phone, but google waste electrical goods, you will find they have to take the old one.
Purwell - that made interesting reading until the part where it said they must make provision for me to take the old item to the shop for disposal - I wouldn't be able to do that - so a bit confusing ............
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 05:41 PM

I think you will find if you have it delivered the company that you buy it from have to take the old one away.

I don't think they HAVE to Patsy, some will do this and some don't, and it has to be unplugged and defrosted ready for them to load up.
Your local council should oblige though, I don't mean the ordinary bin men, it's a special dept. you have to ring (you should find the number online under your local council offices).
I think it was about a tenner per large item they charged us when we had to clear Mum's house out last year, but that could vary according to local areas.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

08-01-2016, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Don't think they HAVE to Patsy, some will do this and some don't, and it has to be unplugged and defrosted ready for them to load up.
Your local council should oblige though, I don't mean the ordinary bin men, it's a special dept. you have to ring (you should find the number online under your local council offices).
I think they charge about a tenner per large item, but that could vary according to local areas.
Judging by Marks post - it would appear they 'should' oblige, will have to check with them again
The council will only collect if goods are left 'outside' can't do that here Mups
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 05:46 PM

Mark - that's interesting because I have ordered the freezer from Currys and was pleased when I saw they would dispose of the old one but - when I phoned to order, they said it was coming direct from manufacturer so they 'cannot' dispose of it
The quote you have given above, I did not see and that quote suggests they 'should' take it - I will have to get in touch with them again
Maybe it only applies if the old one is the same make as the new when direct from the manufacturer - hence the 'recycling' reference?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2016, 05:48 PM

Judging by Marks post - it would appear they 'should' oblige, will have to check with them again
The council will only collect if goods are left 'outside' can't do that here Mups

Oh I see, Patsy, I think I remember you saying you're in a flat now, so I can see that would be difficult.
Perhaps best you give Marks suggestion a try then. What a palaver. If that don't work I'd try the Age Concern people.
I don't like Curry's, well not our local one anyway, most unhelpful lot of so-and-so's I've met.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top