Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
kittylion
Lancashire, United Kingdom
kittylion is female  kittylion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2015, 10:25 PM

Re: Children taking sweets from Pick n Mix

How is that not stealing? And it's no use saying it should be left to their parents to chastise them as the parent in this case was condoning it. This is the sort of attitude I experienced for years as a secondary school teacher. My personal property was fair game for theft as it was only the teacher's - my equipment, sweets I got for rewards, anything was pinched unless it was locked away. When I caught people it was considered a joke.

Once in class we had a discussion about what you would do if you found money in the street. I was the only one who said they would hand it it (and I would - why would you keep cash that wasn't yours?) To a man the children declared that they would keep the money and so would their parents and not only that, they accused me of only saying I would hand it in because I was at school.

I took voluntary redundancy from that school. Two weeks after I had received my redundancy payment, the same amount was paid again into my account in error. I phoned and told them straight away (we are talking about several thousand pounds). What I hadn't realised was that all the redundant people had also been paid a second time. Most of them were resentful that I had come clean - obviously they thought the LEA wouldn't notice (?) and would not mind committing fraud.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2015, 10:35 PM

It's a big temptation for children having all those sweets within easy reach. But parents who are giving their children permission to steal are making a rod for their own back. They should be taught that taking what does not belong to them is most definitely not alright. But then some parents have no morals so not much hope for the children.

You did right to tell the children it was wrong but I fear they are more likely to heed the idiot mother.
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2015, 11:15 PM

I stopped buying Pick n Mix, after seeing this child grabbing the sweets with her hands and putting them in the paper bag her father held open.

I would have told the children to put them back too. Quite right Jazzie.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
You did right Jazzi. You can't just help yourself to stuff in shops! I've seen adults noshing stuff in the fruit and veg aisles. It never ceases to amaze me. Buy the bloomin stuff like the rest of us and stop nickin it!

Yes, its like the bloomin' adults I see trying out the grapes too. I guess the kids will think its o.k. if they see the adults doing it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-01-2015, 10:33 PM

[QUOTE=Eliza;595211]Two things come to mind here ,first is when my daughter was about 2 she went shopping with me and she had a small red zip up bag , i happened to turn round and see her putting sweets in the bag , i told her off and took the sweets out and put them back.
Years later my neighbour who was working there at the time use to delight in telling everyone about this episode ,and it became quite obvious i was being watched each time i shopped there ,and to the point where id be asked to empty my bag out at the till on some occasions ,I stopped going to that shop in the end .
The other that comes to mind is not all children can take in right from wrong ,
I would have left it to the parent to chastise the children .[/
QUOTE]

Sorry Eliza, but I can't agree with that reasoning at all. The children may not know right from wrong, but the Mother did when she told them to help themselves.
Anyway, by letting them steal, how is that teaching them right from wrong?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 10:32 AM

But then again, as the mother was far away, I only have the children's word for it.
littlebob
Gwynedd Wales
littlebob is male 

21-01-2015, 11:58 AM

I find all this very funny, children nick stuff from shops around us all the time, lots of shops have notices on the front door saying " not more than two children allowed at a time"Lets be honest, all kids have to be watched when they are young, the moral issues are something they have trouble with. In an ideal world the parents would educate them in matters such as these, but in my experience lots of the parents are easily as bad as the children. If you do see something wrong with the way a child is behaving you have three options, you can speak to the child, you could speak to the shop staff or you can look the other way and pretent it did not happen, it is your choice. You cannot always predict the outcome of the action you take. Tish was right about the pick and mix, I would never buy it when all those filthy little hands have been all over it. What a daft selling idea !
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 12:07 PM

But adults also stick fingers in. I've seen that too. No easy way round this problem if, like me, you're a sucker (oooh, no pun ntended) for pick n mix sweets.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2015, 12:23 PM

Nothing changes. I grew up in a village shop and was serving by 12,I saw kids stealing but woe betide the times I mentioned it.....their parent would take umbridge and I was deemed the guilty one
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

21-01-2015, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Nothing changes. I grew up in a village shop and was serving by 12,I saw kids stealing but woe betide the times I mentioned it.....their parent would take umbridge and I was deemed the guilty one
Typical!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top