Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2014, 10:09 AM

Re: Christmas Cards

I send e-cards to some people but still send postal cards to others. My list has reduced mostly because of the postage costs. Last week I posted the rest of my cards and one small package to UK, using the British post here, the cost was 43 euros, itīs almost 2 euros to post one normal sized card and more for a larger one. It is somewhat cheaper by Spanish post but that means going into one of our local towns, which if I am going that way is okay but the British post is just down the road and so of course more convenient. I can buy Spanish stamps in some of the shops but then itīs a case of "how many on this card, is it oversized, etc etc"? I think soon it will be cheaper to fly to various countries and deliver things yourself.
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2014, 10:37 AM

I only send e cards to my American cousins and for the rest I phone them instead which is almost as cheap as sending a card by post.
comeandgo
The universe
comeandgo is female 

28-11-2014, 11:33 AM

Our middle daughter and family prefer not to receive or send birthday or Christmas cards as they aren't environmental! So we don't send cards to them.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2014, 12:01 PM

I rarely bother sending Christmas cards because they're meaningless. No-one really believes the person who sent it is doing anything other than just going through the motions when they send a card out. It's probably the only time they ever get in touch, year after year, and what's the point in that?

In my experience it's usually women who have a Christmas card list, which is largely comprised of people who last met a decade or two ago. For example, my mother sends a card to people who lived next door to her 30 years ago, which is ludicrous. They haven't even clapped eyes on each other since then! Oddly she always grumbles about "having" to send so many cards.

Thankfully no-one I know is daft enough or gauche enough to send me one of those ghastly "round robin" letters in a card!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2014, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
I rarely bother sending Christmas cards because they're meaningless. No-one really believes the person who sent it is doing anything other than just going through the motions when they send a card out. It's probably the only time they ever get in touch, year after year, and what's the point in that?

In my experience it's usually women who have a Christmas card list, which is largely comprised of people who last met a decade or two ago. For example, my mother sends a card to people who lived next door to her 30 years ago, which is ludicrous. They haven't even clapped eyes on each other since then! Oddly she always grumbles about "having" to send so many cards.

Thankfully no-one I know is daft enough or gauche enough to send me one of those ghastly "round robin" letters in a card!
I agree Tachyon
One year a teenage niece gave me a little slip of paper instead of a Christmas card which represented a donation to building a well for a village in Africa which seemed a better idea than christmas cards.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2014, 12:17 PM

[QUOTE=Silver Tabby;566794]Some of the ecards (Jackie Lawson for example) are very beautiful and very clever - but also very impersonal so, no, I do not use them. I make all of my own and try to fit the card to the recipient.

My list seems to be diminishing - only 187 this year.[/QUOTE]

You're joking ST 187? You're not telling me you have to buy that many postage stamps surely, that would cost over Ģ100 even for second class!
I don't even know 187 people!
comeandgo
The universe
comeandgo is female 

28-11-2014, 01:11 PM

We used to send about 200 before my husband retired.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by comeandgo ->
We used to send about 200 before my husband retired.
OMG, don"t think I know 200 people .
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2014, 02:19 PM

I only send my immediate family and a couple of neighbours who I am friendly with. The money that I used to spend on cards now goes to a local charity.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2014, 02:29 PM

I have drastically cut down on my list, It was getting that I was sending to people I hadn"t seen for donkeys years and what with the price of postage , all getting a bit out of hand.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top