Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 11:36 AM

Re: Storms

When there's been adequate warning, we unplug the base 'phone near the front door.

We've had two burned out by lightening since we moved in!

I also ensure this Toshiba is unplugged but the TV etcetera is all plugged-in behind the stand it's on and unplugging it all means taking everything off it, (and out of it!), 'cos it is really heavy!

In our immediate area there's been several lightening strikes over the years, one we witnessed many years ago and were astounded at the damage it caused - the whole roof of a 3-bed semi gone! stevmk2
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 11:50 AM

We had torrential rain last night..no storm..but it is soooo hot!

I don't unplug anything..but I will admit I enjoy a good thunderstorm..when I'm inside of course!
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 03:22 PM

Me too Lilac I love a good storm, last night's lightening was spectacular. I do not know how long it lasted but I watched the night skies for a while before retiring to bed.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 03:26 PM

Yes Venus..there's some images on-line..

Absolutely awesome lightening strikes..especially over the Isle of Wight..
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 03:54 PM

We had the storms on Thursday night, but not much since. Might get more tonight, though.
I unplug the computer and broadband connection (which is from a dish) but usually nothing else. I guess I should really unplug the TV too but I never have. As for surge protectors, I have known people's equipment to be killed by lightening even when it was on a surge protector, so I don't think they are much use in lightening strikes.
lilac
West yorks uk

19-07-2014, 04:07 PM

I actually saw a boy killed by a lightening strike..big crack..and then a ''white out''..when I got to him he had smoke coming out of his nose and ears..dead..
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by lilac ->
I actually saw a boy killed by a lightening strike..big crack..and then a ''white out''..when I got to him he had smoke coming out of his nose and ears..dead..

I too have seen people killed by lightning - not a pretty sight, which is why I now have a very healthy respect for storms and try to stay as far away from them as possible.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
When I was a kid, Mum used to unplug everything and even turn any mirrors round to face the wall ! But is it a wise safety precaution or 'a load of old codswallop' do you think?
I don't understand the logic of the mirrors - what was her thinking behind that? It seems bizarre.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
I don't understand the logic of the mirrors - what was her thinking behind that? It seems bizarre.

I think reflection, the lightning strikes the mirror and is relected elesewhere in the room.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2014, 04:45 PM

Nothing severe here just typical thunderstorms,don't unplug any thing,if it strikes it strikes and there ain't nothing can be done to stop it.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top