Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 04:56 PM

Re: Judging

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
What does Toff mean Patsy, I heard it in a Kinks song.
It's a derogatory term for the upper class AC think it may come from the term "toffee nosed"
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Well I've never seen 'Del Boy' on a fox hunt
Mind you he did aspire to 'Toffdom'
He is a fictional character .. not real.
Just like 'toffs' is only a word for those who are jealous of others who have done better than them.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Maybe where you are Janela that's the case but I couldn't honestly says that that's the case where I live nor anywhere in the Milton Keynes area for that matter.

The class system still exists for those immediately affected by it.

If you're not affected or it's not noticeable to you then, to my way of thinking, you obviously reside in the more privileged classes areas rather than areas where they are likely to be a general, wide-spread mix of people, ranging from those unfortunate enough to have to survive on Benefits to those that can easily manage private education for their offspring for example.

Claiming that class barriers are an old-fashioned concept does not mean they do not exist. stevmk2
Well, that certainly told me Steve.
It's you who has picked the number one worst place to live Steve, with 60 per cent of dwellings claiming housing and council tax benefit and 40per cent of pupils receiving free school meals. (words from Milton Keynes council)

The rich (or hardworking who have saved for a pension) versus the poor on benefits, and now this dreadful class system.
Us poor folk who saved and looked after our money, are now the villains.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
He is a fictional character .. not real.
Just like 'toffs' is only a word for those who are jealous of others who have done better than them.
Surely not
Toffs are truly laughable - silly ejits that spend their time trying to outdo another Toff - who could be bothered, hardly salt of the earth are they ......
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 06:40 PM

Just for you AC, this is as good as a example as i can find

AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Just for you AC, this is as good as a example as i can find

Sorry Nom, most times when someone attaches something, it says Adobe Flash required. I can't get Adobe Flash on my phone, whatta drag.

Hope I didn't miss something funny!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 07:11 PM

Couple of Toffs looking 'down' at the peasant - not because of his height either - that he 'looks up' to them, 'cos he knows 'his place' ......
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 07:13 PM

Thanks Patsy, I'll call on you everytime someone attaches something & you can be my translator ����
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2014, 09:31 PM

I think every Country has some sort of class system, though few will admit to it or may even be unaware of it but it is there and always will be there. You have the old Families with the old money and the new Families with the new money, both sets of Families are loaded but the old Family will still look down on the new Family. If you're on the other side of the fence it's the same, the fella with a job will look down on the fella with no job, through no fault of his own more than likely, but that doesn't make any difference to the working fella, he still feels superior.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

06-05-2014, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I think every Country has some sort of class system, though few will admit to it or may even be unaware of it but it is there and always will be there. You have the old Families with the old money and the new Families with the new money, both sets of Families are loaded but the old Family will still look down on the new Family. If you're on the other side of the fence it's the same, the fella with a job will look down on the fella with no job, through no fault of his own more than likely, but that doesn't make any difference to the working fella, he still feels superior.
Actually Jem, you are right. We talk more about incomes rather than who's technically in what class.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top