Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2014, 04:20 PM

Re: My car

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Thanks, Meg. Actually I've just checked my car insurance policy and it seems they include breakdown assistance at home so am going to ring them.
That's good I hope you get it sorted...
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2014, 05:36 PM

Maybe I'll get less grumpy - the insurer is happy to send someone out but we agreed better tomorrow so I can take it straight to a garage if the jump start works in case the battery doesn't hold the charge overnight. I've actually got a friend coming tomorrow and I have jump leads here, so we'll try it first. If it doesn't work, then at least I know I can call the insurer again. Nice to know I might actually get something for my insurance premium!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2014, 05:39 PM

My car battery died on me just a few months ago, and yes, overnight. Sort of. I got in the habit of not using the car for about a week at the time, only doing a big supermarket shop one day, and using my free Oystercard the other days to get out and about.

I belong to the RAC and they came out and sold me a new one. No problems after that.

Have to confess, I panicked when it wouldn't start. All sorts went through my mind!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2014, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
My car battery died on me just a few months ago,
There was a time when we had warning that a battery was about to pack up because the car would be slow to start for some days previous, now they just seem to die....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2014, 07:24 PM

Threaten it! Works sometimes!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2014, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
My car battery died on me just a few months ago, and yes, overnight. Sort of. I got in the habit of not using the car for about a week at the time, only doing a big supermarket shop one day, and using my free Oystercard the other days to get out and about.

I belong to the RAC and they came out and sold me a new one. No problems after that.

Have to confess, I panicked when it wouldn't start. All sorts went through my mind!

Jan darlin' (and everyone else) - if you leave a car and don't need it for a few days, it is advisable to disconnect the battery leads. That way the battery is not discharging.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2014, 10:49 PM

The same thing happened to us a couple of months ago, no warning, nothing. The car had been in use all the previous day, next morning, nothing, completely dead. We live on a hill so started it by going down the hill, presumed it was charging up, then at the first stop, dead again. Battery tester showed no life in the battery, so new battery fitted and all was well again.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2014, 11:56 PM

I hope that's all I need, Meg. Did yours seem to go overnight as well?

Ania, exactly the same thing happened to my previous car and I thought the same as you - how could it go dead overnight? I always thought there were warning signs first like dimmer lights, or harder to start, etc. but no. Dead as a Dodo one morning. A friend took me to get a new battery and it was fine after that. I'm sure you'll be o.k. when you can get it changed.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2014, 11:57 PM

Thanks, Meg. Actually I've just checked my car insurance policy and it seems they include breakdown assistance at home so am going to ring them.

Ooh, that's lucky. My breakdown cover only kicks in if I'm over a mile away from home. Think I might look into changing that.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-03-2014, 06:00 AM

...is dead as a dodo

It was absolutely fine yesterday and today the battery appears to be dead. Not even enough power to switch on the dashboard or radio clock, although enough to just barely illuminate an internal light. How can a battery go from normal to dead overnight (no, I did not leave any lights on) and does this imply something else faulty going on?

Bennie was not amused that he didn't get his walk at his usual favourite place this morning...
Check the connections on the battery - ie clean them then reconnect and charge it up over night to give it one more chance but assuming all other things being equal (ie Alternator OK etc) then winter is when a dying/old battery is most likely to fail and when they do fail they usually go quickly.

Unfortunately the days when you could find a faulty cell and short it out with lead and solder are long gone.

Probably time for a new one.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top