Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 10:35 PM

Re: Cataracts

Aw thank you everyone for your much welcome support about this.

I am more than aware that my left eye is deteriorating, although not bad enough to be affecting my work or my driving - yet - but it will have to be done.

I'm having next week off work so I'll make an appointment with my optician and see if I can get fast-tracked some time next week. My brother will take me in his car as I won't be able to drive back again - so I am told.

I just hope I can get up the courage to do it and that they can fit me in next week.

Even when I used to go to make-up parties in my teens, I couldn't let anybody near my eyes with a mascara brush, so that's the extent of my fear. I can watch open wound operations on telly without a problem but, if they start fishing about with eyes, I have to look away.

Your wise words and support just may well be enough to get me through this, so thank you all again.
ratbag
UK
ratbag is female  ratbag has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 12:38 AM

Just reading this has made me shake with fear, I too hate my eyes being touched and am terrified, no good saying only 20 minutes that seems a life time to me ..
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 12:44 AM

Me too lass, but I guess I'll have to just go for it. Thanks for your reply though, and hope it can help for any other medical fears.
ratbag
UK
ratbag is female  ratbag has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 12:50 AM

should say my neighbour was worse than me about his eyes being touched then he got a torn retina so had to have emergency treatment ,after a couple of months he then had one of his cataracts done, and said he wasn't a bit frightened about having the other one done now as it was nothing to worry about.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

29-08-2013, 01:05 AM

I've been thinking about that. I think once I've dredged up the courage to have the first one done, then I'll be okay for the second one, but I really am terrified.

I'll start moving on it next week, I promise. I'd have no problems if they could put me out!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
My husband didn't have his cataract lasered off. He had the whole lens replaced. It's also done under local anesthesia and a little shot of goofy juice to relax you. Then you eye is taped open.. your old cloudy lens is slid out from the side.. and the brand new perfect vision lens is slid in. Takes about 20 minutes and then recovery and HOME with perfect vision. He has had his new lens for almost 10 years now with no problems. With a full lens replacement, you don't have to wait for the cataract to get big and thick enough to laser off. I will have the lens replacement when my cataracts get bothersome..
Yes, that is what I was talking about too. I didn't realise they still did the laser treatment replacing the lens is much better and routine.

I must have a faulty eye because my problem is in the same eye that I had a detached retina many years ago.
floradora
New Member!
Oxford, UK
floradora is female 

08-09-2013, 05:01 PM

Yes Mollie I know how anxious the decision is. I had a consultation this week and hope to have multifocal lens implanted after removal of the cataract. But I am still pondering that the surgeon did feel he had to warn me that although my vision would be fine I might find the glare of headlights when night driving a bit different. I wonder if anyone else has experience of this Intra Occular Multifocus Replacement lens treatment. I saw the advertisement in the Saga magazine.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2013, 05:46 PM

Have you got an appointment yet Mollie?

If they catch it now it is a very swift procedure to remove them, but if you wait then you there could be complications.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2013, 06:38 PM

I can't add anything here that hasn't been said already Mollie.

My OH has had his cataracts done in both eyes, with no problems whatsoever.

Tell them you are are nervous and they will help you to relax.

My best wishes to you.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2013, 05:43 AM

Agree with all those encouraging you to go ahead. As Pats said, if you tell them the extent of your fear they can give you something to take the edge of that. It really is a very straightforward procedure and the result will improve your quality of life.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top