Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2013, 09:31 PM

Re: Flattery v Compliment

Robert's Post
Margot bumped into Myfanwy in Harvey Nicholls.
“ Darling, I love your outfit” she cooed, following it up with a withering
“ I’ve always loved it”

Was that flattery, complimentary or plain old fashioned bitchiness?

---------------------

I would judge what was said as plain old fashioned bitchiness. Harvey Nicks is an upmarket shop and is not cheap - cooing in one sentence and then adding in a withering way "I have always loved it" tells me Myfanw's outfit may not be new and has been seen quite a bit. It's a bit of a backhander, calculated to discomfort. Not very nice.

Thinking about compliments and flattery. I would think a compliment is best taken gracefully and at face value and even if we don't believe it it is good manners to accept it gracefully. The flatterer often has a motive and he/she can be either genuine, shallow or insincere depending on the the situation, motive and the degree of flattery. AS Pats says it depends on how things are said - and how often.
Then there is sychophancy.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2013, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
Far too many people make flattering statements which are untrue. I have noticed this particularly on forums, someone will post a ghastly photo of themselves, for instance, and others will make flattering comments ,which they can't mean, that or they should have gone to Specsavers! I would be highly annoyed if someone paid me a compliment, which was ludicrously untrue. Far from thanking them, I would challenge them and ask why they thought it necessary to tell a lie!
You have used the words I and me four times in a 79 word statement, that is ball park 3.1...%. It is best not to post images as they cloud the issue. truth is a subjective matter. Imo.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2013, 09:40 AM

I dont often offer compliments unless some thing is strking, but if Im talking to a friend and can see from their face that they arnt that happy I will look for the most truthful thing on them thats nice , maybe just the colour of a shirt or some thing simple you can tell it cheers them up a little just to be noticed especially old people. I know I like it if some one bothers to look and notice me ...
valice
Chatterbox
Wirral UK
valice is female  valice has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2013, 10:12 AM

It is quite nice to receive compliments, but I have always felt rather uncomfortable doing so, I don't know why. Perhaps on the strength of that I have found it difficult to pay compliments to others too.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

02-04-2013, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
You have used the words I and me four times in a 79 word statement, that is ball park 3.1...%. It is best not to post images as they cloud the issue. truth is a subjective matter. Imo.
What are you on about? You are a bit sad if you have counted how many words I have used, and no that isn't meant to be a compliment!
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

02-04-2013, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by valice ->
It is quite nice to receive compliments, but I have always felt rather uncomfortable doing so, I don't know why. Perhaps on the strength of that I have found it difficult to pay compliments to others too.
It is nice to receive a compliment if it is genuine, and not done just to be nice or kind, otherwise it is patronising.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2013, 12:51 PM

Rena - yes 'sychophantics' ugh - dont you just see that a lot
As for 'flattery' - I never once thought it insincere, I agree with Bags - maybe, 'flattery' is harmless fun, and a compliment 'more sincere'. I saw a programme last night about Eric Morecombe, the presenter Miranda Hart was so thrilled to meet the writer of the shows (Eddie) that she said to him 'I cant believe I'm being hugged by you !' He said 'O'h you flatter me'. No way was 'she' being insincere.. So its complicated - thats for sure....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 09:20 AM

I'm another one who's never really thought about the difference between the two words - when I've been paid a compliment, I've even said 'thank you, I'm very flattered'; now my brain is going into meltdown trying to figure out if my response was insincere (even though I know it wasn't)

Then again, I can remember my mum saying (in a bit of a sarcastic voice to someone she didn't really get on with following a false compliment) 'oh you old flatterer you' - maybe I should have paid more attention to her choice of wording!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2013, 04:03 PM

I think a lot of us take flattery as a compliment, rather than being insincere.
Grouse
planet earth
Grouse is male  Grouse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2013, 07:56 AM

These days i would settle for either.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top