Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2013, 11:45 PM

Re: Do you know who this is?

I think you gave it away, Clumsy. Wayne Fontana.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2013, 11:52 PM

Indeed it is mesco. He lives very near to us and he is really strange, but I believe he has had severe mental health problems in the past. Looking at a video of him in the 60s and seeing him now, always with the cowboy hat on, it's hard to believe it is the same person.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2013, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
I think you gave it away, Clumsy. Wayne Fontana.
Ah yes I remember him now, Wayne Fontana and the what, don't remember the bands name.
The mindbenders?
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2013, 01:31 AM

Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders. Amazing how so many of these past pop stars end up here, we have Ricky Valance (Tell Laura I love her) in our neighbourhood too, he's very tanned and seems to have had so many face lifts he looks like a waxwork dummy.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

03-01-2013, 10:10 AM

Never heard of him.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2013, 11:23 AM

OMG he is a friend of PJ Proby it must be Wayne Fontana.

Ricky Vallance born David Spencer will be 74 years old in April this year.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2013, 12:58 PM

Love his tan! Good one, Clumsy - thanks for sharing

I remember him!
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2013, 01:37 PM

When I was a teenager I used to hang out with my friends in the record section of a Slough Music store - Hickies (now long defunct). We really fancied the girl behind the counter, and we used her unmercifully to order obscure imported blues records (which we couldn't afford to buy) which we could then listen to in the booths (anyone remember booths in record stores?). Anyway, one summer day in 1963, me and my mates were there fully posing with our intellectual superiority on display, listening to a blues album by Big Joe Williams. In walked these cleancut lads with longish hair who asked the girl to play Love Potion No. 9 by Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders. She put it on the speakers and we all complained so loudly about the pop "mush" she had put on that she turned it off and put Big Joe Williams back on the speakers. The group of boys walked out and she said to us, "You know who that was, don't you? - Wayne Fontana!!!"
We laughed even louder (the cruelty of intellectually pretentious youth...) and carried on posing. The group was on TOTP not long afterwards and we recognised them as indeed the same guys who had visited Hickies that day! - Sorry Wayne!!!!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2013, 01:38 PM

Rolling back the years

Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2013, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
When I was a teenager I used to hang out with my friends in the record section of a Slough Music store - Hickies (now long defunct). We really fancied the girl behind the counter, and we used her unmercifully to order obscure imported blues records (which we couldn't afford to buy) which we could then listen to in the booths (anyone remember booths in record stores?). Anyway, one summer day in 1963, me and my mates were there fully posing with our intellectual superiority on display, listening to a blues album by Big Joe Williams. In walked these cleancut lads with longish hair who asked the girl to play Love Potion No. 9 by Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders. She put it on the speakers and we all complained so loudly about the pop "mush" she had put on that she turned it off and put Big Joe Williams back on the speakers. The group of boys walked out and she said to us, "You know who that was, don't you? - Wayne Fontana!!!"
We laughed even louder (the cruelty of intellectually pretentious youth...) and carried on posing. The group was on TOTP not long afterwards and we recognised them as indeed the same guys who had visited Hickies that day! - Sorry Wayne!!!!
Great story, I remember the booths - lovely jubbley... Also remember Wayne & Co...but Frank Ifield was mentioned...what a guy - what a singer and great songs !

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top