Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2018, 12:15 AM

Re: Mischievous Night

I’d forgotten what sort of tricks were played but a penny for the guy brings back memories.

Lion Queen made me laugh about the dustbin lid! What a racket that would make!
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2018, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Must be a regional thing darlin', 'cos nothing like that down this way.
Yes UJ, I’ve just found that it is. Found this when googling.

Mischief night is known in Yorkshire as "Mischievous Night", or the shortened "'Chievous Night" "Miggy Night", "Tick-Tack Night", "Corn Night", "Trick Night" or "Micky Night" and is celebrated across the north of England on November 4 the night before Bonfire Night.[8] In some areas of Yorkshire, it is extremely popular among thirteen-year-olds as they believe it to be a sort of "coming of age ceremony".[9]

Never heard of it as coming of age though!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2018, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat ->
When I was growing up in Yorkshire, Halloween didn’t exist. However I do remember Mischievous Night which was always 4th November, the night before Bonfire Night. I don’t ever remember being allowed to go out to take part though.

I don’t think it was a Yorkshire thing as my hubby remembers it too and he’s from Cheshire.

Do you remember it and what mischief did you get up to?
I was born and bred in Coventry and I don't remember "celebrating" Halloween or Mischievous Night as a child .....

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I remember it - my brother and I were in deep trouble for tying peoples door knobs together then knocking at the doors and running away!
I remember that as "Rat-a-tat-ginger" .....

Originally Posted by basser ->
On bonfire night I used to go out with a bunch of lads and throw bangers through windows of derelict building and watch them catch on fire,
yes I was a bad boy.But no one ever got hurt promise.
For a month before Bonfire Night, our "gang" would pester local inhabitants for "A Penny For The Guy" and then use the monies obtained to buy cheap fireworks to explode on bomb-sites, building sites, factory sites and canals - placing them in some sort of container to create a "bomb" was particulary popular .....

Inevitably, there were many "accidents" .....
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2018, 02:35 AM

never heard of 'mischievous night' before where i lived down in the southwest,
we were mischievous for at least a month before Bonfire night,

our gang would build a Bonfire with all the rubbish we could lay our hands on and all the people in the area would throw out all their rubbish like old beds furniture old clothes etc etc, sometimes the bonfires would get to big for safety sake and the council would arrive in lorries on the day and take our bonfire away much to the annoyance of all those that had put it together..GRHH
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2018, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
oh yeah, I'm a Yorkshire lass and we were buggers on mischievous night. We used to tie one end of string to the door knob and the other end of string to the dustbin lid then we'd knock and run away, when they came to open the door it made the dustbin lid clatter really loud (in those days the bins were metal) lol. Oh thank you for the memories. Such innocent fun.

I remember ducking for apples too and I never could get my teeth around the damned apple lol
Oh yes remember it well....we used to thread a button onto a reel of cotton and attach it to the frame of a window then from a safe distance gently make the button tap tap on the window....the occupants kept looking out to see who was tapping but we were hiding a safe distance away....they wouldn't see the button as it was pulled up out of view only to be lowered again and the tap tap to continue when it was safe to continue ....very spooky poor victims !
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2018, 06:14 AM

Hi

I remember it well.

Great Fun, but nothing nasty.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2018, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
I was born and bred in Coventry and I don't remember "celebrating" Halloween or Mischievous Night as a child .....

I remember that as "Rat-a-tat-ginger" .....

For a month before Bonfire Night, our "gang" would pester local inhabitants for "A Penny For The Guy" and then use the monies obtained to buy cheap fireworks to explode on bomb-sites, building sites, factory sites and canals - placing them in some sort of container to create a "bomb" was particulary popular .....

Inevitably, there were many "accidents" .....
I was in a gang too Omar.....nothing like the gangs of today I hasten to add.....we had such fun
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2018, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I was in a gang too Omar.....nothing like the gangs of today I hasten to add.....we had such fun
Was it all skipping and balls against the wall .....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2018, 02:00 PM

I've heard of it because my husband told me they had this when he was young, nothing like that down here in the south though.
peripheral
GB
peripheral is male  peripheral has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2018, 07:26 PM

We used to indulge in a prank called Bull Roaring. That was done by sticking some paper up a drainpipe and setting fire to it. It was quite noisy.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top