Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 04:39 PM

Re: There comes a point......

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I don't think that on social media sites 'Friends' means the same as it does to the more mature user (us) so what else could we call someone who we have never met but feel we have a lot in common with having only read their posts and comments?
The internet puts a whole new meaning to the word 'Friend'.
I often think about all the people who have passed through my life, almost impossible to list all of them but most were considered 'Friends' at the time. The majority of them turned out to be just a 'sentence' in the book of life and we will never meet again - something that I never even considered the last time I saw them. Others got to be a 'Chapter' and now possibly receive a Christmas card, but it's still unlikely that our paths will cross again. And then there are the leading characters, who we hope will still be with us when the story ends, they have occupied many chapters and been constant companions throughout the story, sometimes it is they who have to write the ending of the story.
What a lovely way of seeing it.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 04:44 PM

Says it all for me

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 05:30 PM

It was once said:

"I prefer acquaintances to friends.
They don't expect you to call or go to their children's weddings."
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
It was once said:

"I prefer acquaintances to friends.
They don't expect you to call or go to their children's weddings."
Or
A friend in need is a pain in the Yaris.

A problem shared is a problem doubled.

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Or
A friend in need is a pain in the Yaris.

A problem shared is a problem doubled.

I know what you mean Tpin, although when I'm in a different mood, I also like the thought that "the service we render to others is really the rent we pay for our room on this earth," too.
Advantage Out
Öresund, Sweden
Advantage Out is male  Advantage Out has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by rhosyn ->
.....in your life when you realise-
Who matters
Who never did
Who won't anymore
And who always will
So don't worry about people from your past-
There's a reason why they didn't make it into your future.
It's rather FINAL, isn't it. For that reason I don't agree to it. I know that the meaning of friend should hold a deeper value and not just a fleeting half-earnest effort of devotion. That a friend is someone who knows both your attributes and your failures but accepts you for who you are - and not for who others think you are. Perhaps not even who you (yourself) think you are. But all of this “never did” and “won't any more” indicates that you are perhaps not much a good friend yourself. Anyway, who's to say that an ex-friend might not become your best friend in future? Isn't it too judgemental to think in such terms?

I must also say that I find the over-used expression “comes a point” very shallow. It's everywhere. “It was at that point that I knew … “ or “I realized at that point that I would never .. “ Why should any point in life define all that has been …… and all that is to come? It doesn't, so why pretend that it does?
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I reach this point years ago and am a happy recluse
...well almost, apart from when the family drag me out of my seclusion ....
I'm the same way. I gave up worrying about not having friends when I discovered my 'best' friend since I was 18 - the one and only person in this world I thought I could trust - chose my boyfriend over me.

I don't need people like that in my life. I'm perfectly happy keeping to myself. I have my son and I have my job and I'm good with that.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Advantage Out ->
It's rather FINAL, isn't it. For that reason I don't agree to it. I know that the meaning of friend should hold a deeper value and not just a fleeting half-earnest effort of devotion. That a friend is someone who knows both your attributes and your failures but accepts you for who you are - and not for who others think you are. Perhaps not even who you (yourself) think you are. But all of this “never did” and “won't any more” indicates that you are perhaps not much a good friend yourself. Anyway, who's to say that an ex-friend might not become your best friend in future? Isn't it too judgemental to think in such terms?

I must also say that I find the over-used expression “comes a point” very shallow. It's everywhere. “It was at that point that I knew … “ or “I realized at that point that I would never .. “ Why should any point in life define all that has been …… and all that is to come? It doesn't, so why pretend that it does?
Yes AO, you make some excellent observations, who knows where the future will take us. There is a popular saying 'As one door closes, another one opens' but I don't believe that as we move forward and progress through the open doors of life the doors behind us close. Never Say Never!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 08:44 PM

Great posts from OldGreyFox and Adv
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2016, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Great posts from OldGreyFox and Adv
Thanks Ruthio......

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top