Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 02:26 PM

Re: Christmas day shopping

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Sorry Judd, but I don't really agree with that.

I understand what you say about those who may not wish to celebrate our festive season, but this is our country - and we do. Same as I would expect to honour another country's customs.
And what about the staff being made to work? What if they wanted to be with their families and enjoy their christmas dinner and a day's rest?

I don't see why anybody can't prepare for one day without a shop opening.
Well said Mups
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 02:34 PM

Lots of shops were open here too..

Disgusting.. No matter your belief or faith you can respect others and one day without shopping wont kill anyone...

I once had Jehovahs knock at the door just before Christmas,,I knew them from my sons primary school I explained I couldnt talk because he had mumps.. A couple of hours later they knocked again and offered to either babysit or go fetch my shopping for me ' buy your sprouts or whatever it is you eat at Christmas'..
A very Christian attitude and respectful of other peoples beliefs.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 05:18 PM

Is it our country? It would seem not.
Those shops that were open, most were owned by those of non Christian faith shall we say.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 05:30 PM

Gosh I can't see it hurting anyone if a shop wants to open on Christmas Day, should pay the staff decently obviously but m husband worked for a few hours, the factory he fills vending machine for was working so they needed their coffees and teas. Many people work Christmas Day, nurses doctors, care homes and more, it's just another day for many.
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Is it our country? It would seem not.
Those shops that were open, most were owned by those of non Christian faith shall we say.
Not necessarily Emjay all Martin McColl shops throughout the country were open and there's no one more British than them our local garage was open (owned by a Welshman) even our local butcher was open till 11AM. So it's not just others of non Christian faith that opened.
countrygirl
West Midlands
countrygirl is female  countrygirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 06:01 PM

There are those who might say we now live in a multi-cultural society and so it is okay to open on Christmas Day. I do not agree, I think it is detrimental to family life and I think that if stores must open, workers should get extra pay.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2016, 07:23 PM

I suppose if the shops don't close for Diwali or other religious holidays they shouldn't treat Christmas any differently, if we really want to treat everyone equally.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top