Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-01-2021, 11:35 PM

Re: Destiny & Free Will

Do psychoanalysists all come from good stock or, are they trying to work through it, off the backs of other folk?
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Do psychoanalysists all come from good stock or, are they trying to work through it, off the backs of other folk?

"Good stock"??..Do you mean are they adequately educated or qualified?..Come from solid, affluent pillar of the community families?..no deformities or mental illness in the history?.Have no idea what "it" is....As someone who has been in the job (retired), I'm happy to provide an answer but only if the question is not purely rhetorical and anyone is interested. However, as per the thread question. No I don't believe things are pre determined. I believe we are all particles of change orbiting around the Sun. (Thanks Joni Mitchell) I believe we all create our own destinies. WE start by being moulded by a combination of our genetics and our social and physical environment. That includes the quality of attachment with our nurturers, quality of our nutrition, health care, education etc etc. The quality of oUr sense of self is moulded by the level of positive messages in our formative years. LIfe is a lottery. Some of us win, other lose. If we choose our parents well we have an even or better chance of making it. That still always doesn't stop us biting the dust. But it helps. That's what I think.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 04:25 AM

I tend to think we have free will and to some degree are self-determination. That said, we might all be surprised at how predictable our behaviors - even our thinking patterns are - due to the factors Keezoy described.

On a side note, my dad once jokingly told me that his mother told him what to do the first third of his life, my mom had told him what do do the second third of his life, and my sister and I would most likely tell him what to do the last third of his life. "So much for free will!" said he .
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 07:40 AM

I don't think your life pre determined....I think society has certain expectations depending where you were born and who your parents are and for some breaking free of that isn't easy.....but we all have free will and make choices along the way.....depends how brave you are.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 08:59 AM

I think we have certain predestined pointers in life looking back I can see mine and how I got to them here is one predestined pointer.

I was recently happily newly married aged 41 life was wonderful . Driving along in a slow moving traffic jam with hubby driving I'm daydreaming looking out the car window we were passing rows of houses one such house caught my eye and I said to myself " that's a funny little tucked away house "
15 years passed , my marriage was ending I was heartbroken I needed to move on our home was sold and i moved into a house after searching for place to live . I found my home and managed to start life a different life alone . I put all my heart into my house . One day I was working in the front garden and I suddenly looked up at my little house and a bolt of energy shot through me and i had the realisation i was living in that ' funny little tucked away house '

15 years before my life changed i was shown my future although i didnt know it at the time . Believe me it was no co-incidence i know this now .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 09:07 AM

Folks are pretty amazing, how they manage to make new stuff, with and old set of tools.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 12:16 PM

We are supposed to arrive on the planet, achieve some knowledge, learn how to recreate, achieve some births, feed & develop our offspring, then, at the appropriate time, step out of the way.

The only bonus given to us, over other animals, is the level of our ability to communicate.

But maybe that's not such a bonus, after all.

paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 04:21 PM

Susan I agree with you that there are certain things that are meant to happen in our lives, and we are guided in a certain direction for that to happen
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 04:31 PM

Susan, I have likewise had a few experiences that were so powerfully foretelling that I couldn't help but think they were already written in the stars. A fabulous account of you and your little cottage.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2021, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I agree with Meg, and I think our lives can be determined as to the choices we make.
I also agree with Meg. We determine our own paths in life with the choices we make as we go along. As an example, I was travelling by train to a job interview so I bought a D Telegraph to read on the journey. I didn't get the job I was interviewing for BUT, there was a job advertised by a tyre company research centre in Rome in the newspaper. I got that job. Now, if I hadn't been going for an interview and hadn't bought that newspaper, I wouldn't have seen that advert and wouldn't have got the job in Rome where I spent a reasonably happy 14 years.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top