Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 04:56 PM

Re: Advice Needed

Leave to soak in hot water with fairy liquid and a little old fashioned elbow greace with a helping hand from a paint scraper preferably one that uses stanley blades.
Always works for me.
I charge £10 an hour but you have to supply tea and jam scones..

The local oven cleaner man in our area charges £75 and he does the oven and hobs usually takes him around 2 hours.We used him once when we moved in and it was well worth it.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I could lend you Mrs Fox for a couple of days Apricot, she is whizz at cleaning stuff......
Can't be that much of a whizz Foxy if it takes her two days to clean an oven!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Can't be that much of a whizz Foxy if it takes her two days to clean an oven!
No but it would get her off my back for a couple of days so I could spend more time on here.....
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 05:11 PM

Aah, I guessed there was an ulterior motive.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Oven mate is potassium hydroxide I believe, you can buy it much cheaper than the branded item.
Hi

This is true, it is also found in Drain Unblockers, Oil of Olay, Veet Bikini Line and a whole host of other things.

There is an interesting list here.

https://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/hous...eryx=1310-58-3

Now before we all go off ordering it from Ebay, and it is very cheap as Julie says, bear in mind it is evil stuff, it can do you a lot of harm in it's pure form.

It is all down to dilution.

Why does it work on ovens?

Well if you mix it with fats or grease, even burnt on stuff, it makes soap, which you then wash off.

Simples really.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 06:52 PM

Remove glass completely, no need to even open oven door
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I could lend you Mrs Fox for a couple of days Apricot, she is whizz at cleaning stuff......
Oh you are such a card "OLD" have you informed her that you are offering her cleaning services ?? I wouldn"t say no though.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 06:59 PM

I agree swims its evil stuff be sure to wear protective gloves and don't let it drip anywhere especially on wooden surfaces or floors.

I use it though and yes the oven is like new after using it.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
The glass door of my oven is quite heavily stained. Any tips on getting it clean and shiny again would be appreciated.I have tried everything, I can think of.
On my (Belling) cooker I can actually lift out the glass panel to clean Apricot darlin'. Fill sink with (HOT) water - place glass panel at 45% angle in sink and allow to warm, Wet entire panel withdish cloth or sponge, With (brillo pad) start to tackle the brown stains on the glass - once the glass is nice and warm the stains should remove easily enough with the brillo pad. Once clean remove from sink and dry and replace panel back in oven door.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2017, 09:08 PM

Thank you all so much for the tips , I will have a go and let you know how I get on.
x

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top