Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 10:58 AM

Re: child poverty 2017 in britain - does it exist ? PROF

Just because we don't see war conditions doesn't mean there is no poverty to me someone looking in their purse and having to decide to heat their home or pay their rent to feed their kids is poverty. Earn £1200 a month and pay £995 in rent IMO you are in poverty.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 11:10 AM

It says, £1666.67 for a loan parent outside London.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 11:13 AM

It could say they'll make you a millionaire but with sanctions you get nothing, with a six week wait at least to get any benefit you have six weeks at let with nothing.

Don't believe what they tell you ask the claimants themselves you get another side to it all.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 11:24 AM

What does a loan parent with one child get in the amount of benefits ? Something I have never had to deal with, although there wasn't anything like this when I raised my children.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

27-09-2017, 11:28 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/housing-...e_iOSApp_Other

Worth reading this for the problems with making claims.

Just because there was nothing like this years ago makes no difference to me because rents etc were far less and families tended to help each other. Now a days people are on their own with huge rents.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK

27-09-2017, 11:39 AM

Yes, I agree huge rents and rising utilities. Unfortunately, governments cannot be subject to the rent increases that landlords continue to hike, so someone somewhere should be addressing that issue and put a cap on rents. I'm all for that , in fact they should be reduced overall, and stop the buy to rent schemes. The property prices may fall then and subsequently the rents.. but it would be over a long period of time.
It brings it all back to boom and bust.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 11:42 AM

George Osboure did slow the buy to let market by putting a 3% increase in stamp duty on second homes .
It just made AFAIS made rents go up more as their is less rental property around .
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 11:45 AM

Years ago, I was a lone parent raising a teenage son. I had a wreck of a house, damp and incredibly mouldy, plus a mortgage. I was on Benefits and desperately seeking work, and was offered a six week job, covering school holidays. It meant leaving my 13 year old alone, but I took the job. I went and spoke to the Benefits office and was assured that it was OK for me to take the work, my Benefits for that period would be stopped and reinstated at the end of the job.

I had to work for a month until I was paid (no income during that time) and at the end of the six weeks I went back to sign on for Benefits, to be informed that it would be another six weeks before I received any money. A truly nightmare situation which made me greatly regret taking on work, or notifying the Benefits people.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2017, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
https://www.theguardian.com/housing-...e_iOSApp_Other

Worth reading this for the problems with making claims.

Just because there was nothing like this years ago makes no difference to me because rents etc were far less and families tended to help each other. Now a days people are on their own with huge rents.
Why are they on their own ?
Because they can be .
In former times single parents didn't have the choice they had to live with family out of necessity .
Rents may have been less but income was also less but expectations were also much less too .
People were seriously poor.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

27-09-2017, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by CeeCee ->
Years ago, I was a lone parent raising a teenage son. I had a wreck of a house, damp and incredibly mouldy, plus a mortgage. I was on Benefits and desperately seeking work, and was offered a six week job, covering school holidays. It meant leaving my 13 year old alone, but I took the job. I went and spoke to the Benefits office and was assured that it was OK for me to take the work, my Benefits for that period would be stopped and reinstated at the end of the job.

I had to work for a month until I was paid (no income during that time) and at the end of the six weeks I went back to sign on for Benefits, to be informed that it would be another six weeks before I received any money. A truly nightmare situation which made me greatly regret taking on work, or notifying the Benefits people.
Yes we've had hard times too homeless for a year but I'd like to think people won't suffer those things and fight for them not to live in those conditions. I'd never argue it was right or should carry on as before. I can't understand anyone doing that.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top