Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 10:30 PM

Re: Voluntary Work

Hi

Fridays are my voluntarily day, teaching people to fish in conjunction with the CMHT in summer, in winter, taking them for a coffee, shopping etc.

I also do pro bono work as an Expert Witness, keeps my brain sharp.

I greatly admire those who work in Hospices, that is a job that I could not do, I would find it very sad and distressing.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Fridays are my voluntarily day, teaching people to fish in conjunction with the CMHT in summer, in winter, taking them for a coffee, shopping etc.

I also do pro bono work as an Expert Witness, keeps my brain sharp.

I greatly admire those who work in Hospices, that is a job that I could not do, I would find it very sad and distressing.
Well done on the fishing front, I bet it's very rewarding.

I agree that hospice work will be upsetting, since my mum arrived at the hospice I have befriended about 10 people who have passed and it's sad but what I have witnessed is the amazing compassion the families of those deceased have for the other patients after their loved ones have departed.

If you want to have your faith in mankind renewed go and work in a hospice.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2016, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by limeleaf ->
Wondering what work others do in the voluntary line.I’m interested in hearing what you do and why you enjoy it.
For a few years now I have been taking school parties around a local coal mining museum (the last one in Lancashire). There are two of us who are prepared to do this: the chairman of the organisation and myself. Although I have never been a coal miner I have, over the years, accrued some useful knowledge of the subject.

I do it for two reasons: for several years prior to retirement, I used to take my own class there once a years as part of our 'local history' topic, and felt I wanted to give something back; also, I enjoy passing on knowledge of something which we don't have any more in this country - the last deep shaft mine in Britain closed a few weeks ago - and I'd like to think that future adults will be able to pass on an interest and information.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
I'm going to start voluntary work at the hospice that's caring for my mum.
All the volunteers have been there for years and it's like a close knit family as each and every volunteer has had a friend or family member treated there.

It's an end of life hospice giving palliative care, so everybody has a special bond with the amazing staff.

I'd suggest anything that may have an emotional link to you.

That is a very kind and generous thought Tpin. I am sure it will be very rewarding.
I lost my Mum 16 months ago after a 7 year battle with cancer. I am glad your Mum is being looked after in such a nice place.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That is a very kind and generous thought Tpin. I am sure it will be very rewarding.
I lost my Mum 16 months ago after a 7 year battle with cancer. I am glad your Mum is being looked after in such a nice place.
I visit my mum twice a day and you can't help making friends with some of these very brave people and wonderful care staff.

Before I just saw cancer as a nasty disease but now I hate it, almost as if it's taken on an identity, hard to explain but I know I just hate the whole cancer thing.

My mum is the only patient not suffering from cancer but the care is the same(pain relief/control etc).
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2016, 08:55 AM

When I took early retirement, my wife and I founded a national breed specific dog rescue organisation and for the past 9 years, much of our voluntary energy has gone into that. We also do occasional voluntary work for The Starlight Foundation (working with terminally ill children) and a local mental health charity. Before she retired due to disability, my wife managed several large charity shops and I was always roped in as a volunteer for her.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2016, 01:23 AM

I visit my mum twice a day and you can't help making friends with some of these very brave people and wonderful care staff.

Before I just saw cancer as a nasty disease but now I hate it, almost as if it's taken on an identity, hard to explain but I know I just hate the whole cancer thing.

My mum is the only patient not suffering from cancer but the care is the same(pain relief/control etc).

I know what you mean about making friends with the carers. My Mum had a favourite carer who went way above the call of duty many times. We still keep in touch and a few weeks ago went out to lunch together. She's a lovely girl and I will always appreciate what she did for Mum.
I also agree with you about how evil cancer is.

Your Mum is very lucky indeed to have a son who visits twice a day, some families seem to struggle to visit once a week! How on earth do you manage to work as well?

I fear old age and illness, and not being able to do things for myself anymore. I used to work in care before I retired and know what happens. .
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

29-02-2016, 01:36 AM

I know what you mean about making friends with the carers. My Mum had a favourite carer who went way above the call of duty many times. We still keep in touch and a few weeks ago went out to lunch together. She's a lovely girl and I will always appreciate what she did for Mum.
I also agree with you about how evil cancer is.

Your Mum is very lucky indeed to have a son who visits twice a day, some families seem to struggle to visit once a week! How on earth do you manage to work as well?

I fear old age and illness, and not being able to do things for myself anymore. I used to work in care before I retired and know what happens. .
I fit in work around my mum. I'm very very lucky in that I can leave work when I wish, I have a great foreman who could run the business with his eyes shut, a real asset.

As you say, the carers are pretty special.

A few weeks ago an old boy died, one I'd befriended, a real character. One of the other gents was quite upset so I sat with him for a while.

The carers moved in behind the curtain to prepare the body for his family and I could hear them talking to Louie as they cleaned him. Afterwards I complimented them on how they'd treated him with respect, even in death and she replied "He's still our Louie until his family take him from us"

Absolutely brilliant people.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

29-02-2016, 02:01 AM

I fit in work around my mum. I'm very very lucky in that I can leave work when I wish, I have a great foreman who could run the business with his eyes shut, a real asset.

As you say, the carers are pretty special.

A few weeks ago an old boy died, one I'd befriended, a real character. One of the other gents was quite upset so I sat with him for a while.

The carers moved in behind the curtain to prepare the body for his family and I could hear them talking to Louie as they cleaned him. Afterwards I complimented them on how they'd treated him with respect, even in death and she replied "He's still our Louie until his family take him from us"

Absolutely brilliant people.

Goodness, that would have made me cry.
What lovely people there.

By the way, why did my friend Myrtle evict you from her garden, I hope you didn't misbehave?
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK

29-02-2016, 02:15 AM

Goodness, that would have made me cry.
What lovely people there.

By the way, why did my friend Myrtle evict you from her garden, I hope you didn't misbehave?
Myrtle commented on how she didn't have a stalker so I altered my location to "in Myrtle's garden" a few days later she told me to get out, hence the change to "evicted"

Btw, I did shed a little tear or two.
It's a hospice near JBR, very well known in the area.
I did some work for them a few weeks back and the contract manager told me it costs £16,000 per day to run, all from charity donations and they have two hospices so that's approx £32k per day running costs.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top