Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 05:47 PM

Re: Ration Books

The people who will be chortling the most, will be those survivalists in America, who have long stockpiled food, ammunition, fuel, etc, for ages now, warning of Armageddon, and the breakdown of law & order. We all thought they were nuts, they still are, but I betcha there are no shortage of toilet rolls in their hidey holes!!
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 06:08 PM

Isn't it strange how nobody actually admits to panic buying. No one on this site anyway. Everyone is very much against it. The very idea is horrifying but I wonder..
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 06:15 PM

Mea Culpa, EZ. On Monday I purchased 4 cans of baked beans, 4 tins of tomato soup, 2 tubes of toothpaste which were on offer but no loo roll!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Ration Books work well with ID Cards.

We do not have ID Cards.

It would be a huge logistical exercise to get such a system up and running under normal circumstances and simply not practicable now.

One solution would be to stamp the backs of your hands when you shop with an indelible ink, but that would mean every member of the family going along as you would be limited to an amount per person.

Anything less than this is too easy to fiddle.

Those unable to visit would have a pack of essentials delivered weekly.
I still have my ID card from yonks years ago
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Since all purchases have to be by card now, perhaps there is technology available for checkouts to identify returning looters and have them banned .....
Good point.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2020, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Personally, I don't think this could be rolled out in time. Even if it was, I bet the Government would award the contract to a printing house in Europe because our printers would be too expensive.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2020, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
The people who will be chortling the most, will be those survivalists in America, who have long stockpiled food, ammunition, fuel, etc, for ages now, warning of Armageddon, and the breakdown of law & order. We all thought they were nuts, they still are, but I betcha there are no shortage of toilet rolls in their hidey holes!!
I admit to buying 6 bottles of plonk last Wednesday but, there again, that will last us 6 weeks (1 drunk last night). Oh, and we did buy 2 loaves yesterday which will last us 2 weeks.

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I still have my ID card from yonks years ago
I still have my Italian ID card and driving licence from when I lived there over 20 years ago.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top