Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2018, 11:34 PM

Re: I love Christmas because...

Because of those memories of sitting round the dining table.
My late wife, my mother in law, my mother and all of the others still with us.

I'll never sell this dining table.

There are so many memories connected to it.

My Children , Grandchildren, and great grandchildren are all lined up to be here again this year.

We, often, have 15-20 around that table.

Never thought i was sentimental - but I am.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 12:02 AM

I love the atmosphere at this time of the year. I love the Christmas lights twinkling everywhere, the decorations and the Christmas trees ablaze with colour, listening to carols and receiving Christmas cards.

I love making the Christmas cake and mince pies - always have to have a pre-Christmas 'taster' of a mince pie.... just to make sure they are alright you understand

We have a close family and love spending time together on Christmas Day with good food, games and laughter.

After many years of having everyone to us on the Day, our daughter has now taken over the role of host and we are invited to their house.

I don't get out of it that easy though as I always have them all to our house on New Year's Day for a turkey roast with all the trimmings and a buffet in the evening when they all have a little present from the Christmas tree.

So yes, I love Christmas, it holds so many lovely memories.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 09:52 AM

I wouldn't claim to 'love' Christmas but I always enjoy it.

It is summer, it is warm, the family comes together, we have BBQs, prawns, Christmas Pudding and booze outdoors in the garden. Everybody enjoys opening presents on Christmas morning and there is usually a water fight for the littlies.

Now that my kids are older it changes each year. This year my daughter and her husband are working over Christmas so won't be here, my middle son and his family will be here and my youngest son is on duty Christmas Eve night (?) so won't arrive until mid morning.

We will set up tables and chairs on the lawn under a gazebo and have a great day. Always something to look forward to.

Note to self - remember to buy a slab of beer in plenty of time.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Shropshiregirl, there's no reason to be too materialistic. Why spend so much when one simple but nice gift will suffice?
Floydy, I agree with you. I guess it all started with my own mum and dad having seven children and all the gifts under the tree.They would buy for us and we would buy for them and each other.
Then as we left home and started our own families, it wasn't too much trouble with the one or two extra presents to buy, but as more and children arrived on the scene, it seemed to get out of control. In the end we were buying for great grandchildren and great nephews and nieces. It was impossible to leave them out when everybody lives within walking distance of each other.

It was only at a family get together two years ago that we got talking about Christmas presents and buying for siblings partners, chiildren, grandchildren and nephews, nieces, (and now their children) that the other siblings confessed that they too found it all too much and too expensive.

So we made that wonderful decision to tell everyone to stop with the dozens of individual presents and just buy one gift from each family to each family. Now everyone is much happier and less stressed. HWMO and I do buy a little something for the little ones though.(grandparents privilege) Nothing expensive, just a little gift to open like a chocolate stocking or colouring books and crayons etc, something that only costs a couple of pounds each at the most.

I must admit, Christmas is so much more enjoyable now. I don't even have to start Christmas shopping until the beginning of December.
These days I really appreciate such a special day because I now have the time to sit back and see the true meaning of Christmas.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 06:43 PM

it may be fictional - but we are all given the gift at a very early age to get that excited feeling ' something thats handed down through generations - you may not like it as some of you grow older and more grumpy with all the chaos it brings -but it is here to stay and to enjoy ' its a rare thing that comes around same date every year -so all you scrooges sit back and enjoy the 2 days with families or not ..as there is a lot worse things to grump about !!!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2018, 10:30 PM

Christmas is brilliant....
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 12:25 AM

So many things I enjoy about Christmas, but I must admit to my very sentimental best part.
In the evenings when the tree is up and the lights and candles lit in my livingroom, no one here but me. From 9 pm until 11 or so, I savor the quiet, the inner peace, and not being able to do any more prep work for the day. No stress, just let the night take me away to pleasant memories.

I love this time the most.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 12:40 AM

I love Christmas, especially in NYC.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 10:10 AM

like that picture ………..when I was in Canada to see my family I got taken into a Christmas shop - its open all year round - omg I was like a kid in a toy shop ………..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2018, 10:36 AM

I love the giving and the religious services and carol singing are all so beautiful at this time of year. We were all going to the midnight service but looked it up and it's at 8pm too early for me to get to. How can a midnight service be at 8pm ? Most odd.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top