Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2012, 08:17 PM

Re: The influence science fiction cinema had on Cold War public opinion?

Well if you had asked me I may have told you!
sargUK
New Member!
Sheffield, UK
sargUK is male 

29-02-2012, 04:04 PM

Hello all,
I would like to know your thoughts on the science fiction genre of the 50s and 60s. Was it at all scary to you? what was the appeal of the genre to you? Was part of the appeal maybe due to its references to the Cold War and the space race?

I look forward to hearing everyone's views.

Thanks,
SargUK
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2012, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by sargUK ->
Hello all,
I would like to know your thoughts on the science fiction genre of the 50s and 60s. Was it at all scary to you? what was the appeal of the genre to you? Was part of the appeal maybe due to its references to the Cold War and the space race?

I look forward to hearing everyone's views.

Thanks,
SargUK
And here was me thinking going to University was all about learning to think for oneself rather than picking the brains of others then making use of their thoughts
sargUK
New Member!
Sheffield, UK
sargUK is male 

29-02-2012, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
And here was me thinking going to University was all about learning to think for oneself, not picking the brains of others then making use of their opinions
I don't know if you have ever read any historical academic writing Meg. A major part of this style of literature depends on the opinions of others, afterall there is no strength to any argument or opinion without evidence to support it. What I am doing here is gathering something called 'oral history' which gives the recollected views and opinions from people with first hand experience of the era.

Thanks,
sargUK
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2012, 05:47 PM

I don't know if you have ever read any historical academic writing Meg. A major part of this style of literature depends on the opinions of others, afterall there is no strength to any argument or opinion without evidence to support it. What I am doing here is gathering something called 'oral history' which gives the recollected views and opinions from people with first hand experience of the era.

Thanks,
sargUK
Ah is that what it is I always thought 'oral history' involve talking to people you know getting out there with the use of two legs and using your voice
Heaven knows how students managed before the invention of computers, I guess they actually had to do some work and write down recollection themselves with a pen and paper
sargUK
New Member!
Sheffield, UK
sargUK is male 

29-02-2012, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Ah is that what it is I always thought 'oral history' involve talking to people you know getting out there with the use of two legs and using your voice
Heaven knows how students managed before the invention of computers, I guess they actually had to do some work and write down recollection themselves with a pen and paper
They were certainly different times indeed. However, the purpose of computers and the internet are meant to assist us and make things that little bit simpler. I hope you can see how the internet is a great resource for collecting this style of evidence...? Afterall, why insist on making things harder for yourself? surely that is not progression? I agree that one-on-one interviews in person are great! I have conducted a few myself, but the internet is still such an exceptionally useful resource isn't it?
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2012, 06:22 PM

I would think that if Meg is interested in, or studied history, then of course she would have read academic books.

I'm assuming that this is part of your thesis.
Academic writing is writing done by scholars for other scholars, now you are part of that community. You have to read about, think about, argue about and write about your subject.
You should present an informed argument, not form your arguements on the opinions or feeling of others.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

29-02-2012, 06:50 PM

Afterall, why insist on making things harder for yourself? surely that is not progression? I agree that one-on-one interviews in person are great! I have conducted a few myself, but the internet is still such an exceptionally useful resource isn't it?
On the other hand, asking people inane questions face to face could often result in a right hander so I suppose it is safer and easier this way.

One tiny little snag comes to mind of your chosen method of research and that is perhaps we, your designated information source do not exist in the real world and are simply figments of your computers imagination.
Like IBM did we see the need and invent ourselves to gently poke fun at the idle youth that plague this forum of recent times.

Are we actually the demographic you seek or are we the product of Asimov's publisher?

To find the answers to all these questions and more, have a look outside and learn the proper way, you have little else to do have you?

Best wishes.
George
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-02-2012, 11:20 PM

A major part of this style of literature depends on the opinions of others, afterall there is no strength to any argument or opinion without evidence to support it.
May I kindly point out that 'afterall' is two words: 'after all' and that the use of a comma splice is incorrect?

As for the debate regarding your method of collecting 'oral history', perhaps you would have more success with a focus group in real life.

I will, however, offer you a brief response: science fiction is entertaining, not scary to me. I don't believe there was an appeal, conscious or subconscious, due to the Cold War.

Best of luck with your project Adam.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2012, 03:08 AM

I really do hate students who seek information from others without having to work at the answers they seek for themselves. There were no computers when we were young and we had to use our brains, own thoughts and work things out for ourselves to get answers and, with the greatest respect, most of the students in this day and age would be as thick as two short planks without the use of a computer.

Having said that, computers are a mine of information which is something we didn't have, so we actually had to use brain-power to philosophise and work things out for ourselves. We didn't need computers back then.

I would reiterate Hammer's post plus, I would hopefully assume you have parents and grandparents that you could probably gather an enormous amount of information from, from the era.

Sci-Fi is exactly that. Science fiction - FICTION. Do you suppose that we who were there to watch Sci-Fi in the 50s and 60s would be afraid? It was a good laugh. We giggled and thought it was a hoot! You seem to think we were too thick or stupid enough to know that it wasn't real, and folk of our age do not wish to be patronised by some youngster who thinks he has all the answers.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top