Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 04:49 PM

Re: What a Night.

Oh dear Mups, what a horrible night you had. I know how you feel, I don't like spiders either and I like to know where they are if one is spotted, but I'd rather have spiders than cockroaches. We haven't had a cockroach in the house for years, until this year and everyone is plagued with them. We are told it's because of the dreadful humidity we have had, well still have, plus I think when they spray the drains some escape. At the end of June I opened the dishwasher and there was one big one in there, I have never experienced this before and it's a wonder you couldn't hear my screams in England. Mr Clumsy and a friend examined every nook and cranny and came to the conclusion the disgusting thing had got in via a water inlet or something, they did whatever men do and said that would be the end of it. It wasn't over the following weeks there were 3 more in the dishwasher. More doing whatever it is men do and I'm told the problem is solved, but I don't know because now I refuse to open the door on the dishwasher, someone else has to do it. Mr Clumsy also killed some in the underbuild, but we saw where they were coming from. A house on the other side of the road has a drain in the back yard and the damned things were coming out of there and crossing the road, under our gate and under the door into the underbuild. Cockroach powder under both gates has stopped that. Then we realised that of course there were little gaps round all the gas pipes so the last few days Mr Clumsy has been working hard in the underbuild and in every cupboard in the house where there are gas pipes, all now sealed but nevertheless I am completely paranoid about opening cupboard doors, I refuse point blank to set foot in the underbuild and I refuse to open the dishwasher door. A friend a few streets away found 3 of the disgusting things in her washing machine, another neighbour found 2 underneath the soap dispenser in her washing machine and other neighbours have been plagued with them as well. Some nearby areas the vile things seem to be everywere, up walls, on the footpaths, just everywhere. We have the keys for a friend's house in a little coastal village, he went there last Tuesday to check everything was okay and he swept up 15 dead cockroaches from the downstairs lounge and kitchen, he didn't check the downstairs bathroom and bedrooms and he didn't go up to the new topbuild but I don't think any would have got up there..yet. Oh and one of our German neighbours found one in is bed, he lives next door to the empty house where we saw them coming out of the drain, poor Klaus he is just about as paranoid as me. We've only ever had one in the new part of our house and that was this year, it came out of the bathroom, if I ever so much as see one in my bedroom, which is in the new part, I'm moving. Honestly I'm not neurotic I'm completely paranoid, we never had even one cockroach in the house in Kenya, lots of other weird and wonderful things but no a cockroach.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I read that thinking good on Nellie for trying to save you from that spider she obviously knew she had to do something to get you out of bed and what better than a smell to attract your attention.
love it Julie
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I read that thinking good on Nellie for trying to save you from that spider she obviously knew she had to do something to get you out of bed and what better than a smell to attract your attention.

Well I guess that's one way of looking at it, Julie! Perhaps I underestimated her.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Mups, get yourself one of these sprays!

No More Spiders
http://www.amazon.co.uk/household-s-.../dp/B002EISUUS

I'll look into that ruthio, thanks. I wonder if its safe around the dogs though?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I'll look into that ruthio, thanks. I wonder if its safe around the dogs though?
If you read the reviews and the questions I think you can find that out. Sounds pretty harmless. It's the scent of chestnuts which deters them apparently.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

24-08-2015, 10:19 PM

I've read before that some people deter spiders by putting conkers on the floor around the house, same family as the chestnuts I suppose.
It's supposed to work, but my dogs would pinch the conkers and they are poisonous if eaten, so I daren't try that one.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 10:26 PM

hope tonight is uneventful Mups,sleep tight dont let the Spiders bite...
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I've read before that some people deter spiders by putting conkers on the floor around the house, same family as the chestnuts I suppose.
It's supposed to work, but my dogs would pinch the conkers and they are poisonous if eaten, so I daren't try that one.
Mups, it's horse chestnuts scent, that IS conkers!

Lemon deters too, I didn't know that! Have a read of this...

http://www.theguardian.com/direct-li...t-of-your-home
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2015, 10:40 PM

I have doubts about that spider spray. I have a whole tribe who live in my workshop, and they make enough webs that would please the Adams family. Vincent Price used to buy them off me. Long webs and cobwebs that are very sticky. If you try to gather them up with a piece of wood, they just make very sticky balls, and you cannot get rid of them. I've tried wasp spray, fly spray, WD40 - the lot. Nothing seems to deter them.

A friend once told me to string conkers up - he more or less guaranteed they would get rid of the spiders.
The spiders ate them...
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK

24-08-2015, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Hanfonius ->
I have doubts about that spider spray. I have a whole tribe who live in my workshop, and they make enough webs that would please the Adams family. Vincent Price used to buy them off me. Long webs and cobwebs that are very sticky. If you try to gather them up with a piece of wood, they just make very sticky balls, and you cannot get rid of them. I've tried wasp spray, fly spray, WD40 - the lot. Nothing seems to deter them.

A friend once told me to string conkers up - he more or less guaranteed they would get rid of the spiders.
The spiders ate them...
They ate them!!
You made that up didn't you!!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top