Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 01:55 PM

Re: Do you read online newspapers?

Originally Posted by JBR ->
We used to buy the Daily Mail every Saturday, mainly for the TV magazine and the crossword.

Since the new editor has converted it into a pro-remain rag, I refuse to pay them a penny more and look only at the (free) app.

Unlike the online newspaper version of the DM, the app (on Google Play) doesn't 'jump around' as you put it, and with which I completely agree. However, I believe that they have put 'Media Studies' trainees in charge, as their command of English is appalling.

The good thing about the app, though, is that it features readers' comments for most articles which, in my opinion, are more useful than the articles themselves.

What is interesting and slightly amusing is that whilst the articles have an anti-Brexit leaning, the readers' comments are completely the opposite which would suggest that the new editor is failing to have the persuasive effect he clearly hopes for!
And most probably American, going by their constant overuse of 'Mom'!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 02:27 PM

I am forever digging around to find the news and then digging further to verify facts. The reality is that as click bait pays the bills in the media world, the more sensational the headlines and stories within them will become.

What is bothersome is that while we have freedom of the press, we do not have any oversight of what is published. The line between news and entertainment no longer exists.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
And most probably American, going by their constant overuse of 'Mom'!
I take exception to that!

Yours truly,
Surfermom

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I am forever digging around to find the news and then digging further to verify facts. The reality is that as click bait pays the bills in the media world, the more sensational the headlines and stories within them will become.

What is bothersome is that while we have freedom of the press, we do not have any oversight of what is published. The line between news and entertainment no longer exists.
Yes that is very true. Most sites tend to skim over everything these days because it is all about the advertising, not the content and sadly our TV has become the same.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 02:58 PM

No I buy a physical newspaper that you hold and turn actually pages made of paper. Too much time is spent online anyway with pottering around on here and in my work.
Same with books, I'd never want a Kindle. Not good for the eyes.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by surfermom ->
i take exception to that!

Yours truly,
surfermom

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
"Surferbabe"...Is that any less 'American'?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 03:58 PM

Yours truly,
Surfermom

Indeed.

You should make the necessary correction Surfermum.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 04:04 PM

I have a subscription with the Daily Telegraph, and watch it every morning, in bed, on my Galaxy Tab.

Quality is pretty good although these are "shutting Down" and re-starting blips occasionally.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2019, 04:38 PM

Yours truly,
Surfermom

But with it being a British published newspaper it should be 'Mum'!!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top