Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2010, 11:17 AM

Re: Mothers day!!

I agree the occasion has got too big. It never was so when I was a child. Just a date in a diary and we used to love our Mum everyday anyway. She was the one who told us it wasn't necessary for us to do anything. We took her at her word. Whether she would have actually liked us to do something, we'll never know now.

Anyway Morther's day is what it is now. One or more of our children might buy a card. Others forget or just don't bother. No offence taken though.

I know it's a commercial opportunity for card companies and so are all the other commemorative days that seem to have sprung up these days. I'm in two minds about that. One says 'What a racket' and the other says 'card companies have employees who get the opportunity to earn a wage'.

On balance the commercial argument that wins. Of course the card companies make money but if we were all to work too hard at not spending money on unnecessary items, then lots of jobs would be lost in the 'unnecessary items' industries. Some knock-on effects from that no doubt. One being that the redundant card employee might not be able to afford an item made by the company you work for. Could lead to redundancy.

So I'd say not to feel too bad about buying a card or three. The movement of money in the commercial world is not an entirely bad thing.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2010, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
s
So I'd say not to feel too bad about buying a card or three. The movement of money in the commercial world is not an entirely bad thing.
No, but the mawkish saccharine sentiments inside the cards certainly are! You can keep the small bunch over overpriced flowers - I`d settle for someone else washing up occasionally and not going on like they deserve the Nobel Prize for Mothers Little Helpers.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2010, 12:02 AM

All I can say is that I wish my mum was still alive so I could give her a card.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2010, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by nero ->
All I can say is that I wish my mum was still alive so I could give her a card.
And the same here Nero........
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by merz ->
And the same here Nero........
Me too
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2010, 02:24 PM

I feel it's up to us as individuals to take back our holidays. Christmas is about Christ, families getting together & friends. Commercializing holidays would stop if we just said no.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2010, 09:41 AM

Yes, Nero, I do as well.

Hope every Mother here had a really lovely day.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2010, 09:52 AM

I will always have a place in my heart for Mother's Day as I was born on Mother's Day on May 10, 1949. My mom always reminded me that I was her special reward on that day and every other Mother's Day since. My mom passed away in 1978 but I think of her and the sacrifices she made for all her children. That thought has my eyes tearing up right now. Every now and then the holiday will again, land on my birthday, so I'm constantly recalling her words. This year it lands on May 09, one day short. My brother-in-law's birthday is May 9th. I also have a niece that was born on May 10.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2010, 01:35 PM

Well the kids gave the wife a Wii as a pressie yesterday, . . . she's sitting at this moment with a control in each hand in the next room biting her bottom lip and deeply engrossed, . . brilliant, I must thank them all, . . now I shall get total peace for at least a fortnight 'till the novelty wears off.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2010, 02:01 PM

I just had to pop in for a minute to wish you all a Happy Mother's Day. I didn't know your Mother's Day was yesterday.

I too think it is WONDERFUL. When I think of all my Mother did for my brother and me, it certainly deserves a day least we forget. Tom and I always did something special for my Mom and Dad on their day and when Dad passed away in '73' and Mom in '81' I made the 350 mile trip to Chicago to put flowers on their graves. I would go in May and could have have covered both graves at once but my Dad deserves the additional trip and even if I had to go alone in June, I did until I retired and just could not and had the cemetery do it.

My husband always gave me flowers on Mother's Day and I remember a hand written note he included one year that said. "All the love you receive today, you deserve a hundred fold"

All I can say is some of these celebrations we have are special to many and if someone makes a little money who cares....like someone else said, it gives them a job.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top