Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 09:55 AM

Re: The art of speech.

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I love the various dialects and accents within our country, it will continue to evolve with time despite the attempts to change it.
Agreed, local accents are what help a place or county retain personality and individuality.

My own was London based but over time it has picked up tones of people Ive met along the way and of course some words now sound a little south african as my Dutch accent kicks in..
I have an accent all my own!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes dongle, and another one is "Erm" before answering everything too.

Perhaps we're just getting old and grumpy.
Erm.....Maybe.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Erm.....Maybe.
The 'erms' used to be referred to as 'word whiskers' and I remember that Dad's bro went on some kind of course before he began public speaking, to realise and learn how to overcome it.

Most of us are guilty of 'whiskering' and, as a general rule, it doesn't bother me. We all need a little time to think before sounding off and, for some, it can be difficult at times to find the right word or phrase.

However, repetition of certain words or phrases, can be annoying in the extreme.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 04:25 PM

I have to say that over the past three or so years teenagers seem to have stopped like saying like every other like word. But then again they seldom speak as they are too busy texting.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 04:27 PM

Kids are going to lose the power of speech sooner or later!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I was brought up to speak received English and it has stood me in good stead over the years.
I speak proper English too
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2017, 05:12 PM

One can speak dead posh you know. It`s in the vowels-so there guv,stripe me and appen.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top