Join for free
Page 11 of 16 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2017, 09:53 PM

Re: Why men were happier in the 1950's...

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Angel, you sound like the perfect wife.

Sadly, I'm already married.

Also sadly, I'm afraid you're likely to become persona non grata amongst the other women on here!
Not me JBR. Art's thinking is the same as mine. I don't know whether it is the Irish in us but back then, the men were men and the women looked after them. That's the way it was and there was nothing wrong with it.

This is of course just my opinion - whether women like it or not, we are and always will be the weaker sex and I for one, have always cherished being looked after by my man!!

Despite the groaning coming from those who vehemently disagree with me, and regardless of all the PC madness in today's world where men can be hauled up for insulting a woman by simply opening a door or giving up a seat for them! give me the bygone days anytime.

I love a man to be a man!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2017, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Muddy, My husband always stood up when l returned to the table when we were out! I used to say he needn't but he was a gentleman and treated me like a lady.
Don't ask me how we ended up divorced!
Men doff their trilby hats or their peaked caps....l don't live on a sink estate...you know!
You must live on a racecourse that's they only place you see tribies and peaked caps in any numbers
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2017, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Not me JBR. Art's thinking is the same as mine. I don't know whether it is the Irish in us but back then, the men were men and the women looked after them. That's the way it was and there was nothing wrong with it.

This is of course just my opinion - whether women like it or not, we are and always will be the weaker sex and I for one, have always cherished being looked after by my man!!

Despite the groaning coming from those who vehemently disagree with me, and regardless of all the PC madness in today's world where men can be hauled up for insulting a woman by simply opening a door or giving up a seat for them! give me the bygone days anytime.

I love a man to be a man!
Being completely serious now, I have to say that I disagree.

Women might be physically weaker, but it annoys me when they feel inferior to men. There's a lot more of importance than physical strength, I assure you.

To me, men and women are equal. That's not to say that I think there's anything wrong with men holding doors open for women and otherwise showing politeness. In that respect I am a traditionalist to the point of being old fashioned.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2017, 11:53 PM

Women have always had the initiative, and always will so, fair play to them.
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

02-03-2017, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
The good old days... when women were chained to the sink with just enough length of chain to reach the oven.
Hmmmm, yes, but also when men were chained to their desks, factories, assembly lines, shop counters, trucks, buses, trains, etc etc, with just enough length of chain to reach home at night, where they handed over the money they'd earned that day to their wife.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
You must live on a racecourse that's they only place you see tribies and peaked caps in any numbers

Wrong!!! I happen to wear a trilby when I go out - I don't like, and caps (including those stupid baseballl ones) don't suit me.
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

02-03-2017, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Actually I'm not sure any man worth his salt would want a woman fawning around looking after him. Most men would prefer an equal who contributed to the household.
Well said, Summer!

The ironic thing about all this is that, back in the 50s, men weren't really so happy as the revisionists would have us believe. It's a popular myth beloved of and perpetrated by very young women today, because they think it gives them carte blanche to insist on having every single thing their hearts desire. And nobody, even men, has ever had that privilege.
JimmyC
Australia
JimmyC is male 

02-03-2017, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Wrong!!! I happen to wear a trilby when I go out - I don't like, and caps (including those stupid baseballl ones) don't suit me.
You're not wearing the cap correctly then, Joe. You have to turn them to face the wrong way. That's the right way...

I recall a line from "Becker", where a young bloke wearing a backwards cap comes into his Practice for a consultation about something utterly trivial. Becker gets annoyed with him and sends him packing; but not before saying, "And turn your damn cap around! You can't possibly be as stupid as that makes you look"!!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by JimmyC ->
Well said, Summer!

The ironic thing about all this is that, back in the 50s, men weren't really so happy as the revisionists would have us believe. It's a popular myth beloved of and perpetrated by very young women today, because they think it gives them carte blanche to insist on having every single thing their hearts desire. And nobody, even men, has ever had that privilege.
I don't think men were all happier .
Grindingly hard work long hours a bored frustrated wife to come home too and fractious children -no wonder some stopped off at the pub .
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2017, 09:00 AM

I have a couple of friends who were what would have been called in old fashioned terms the perfect wife but their marriages failed.

They both talk in amazement now at how their ex in his new relationship does chores around the house and cooks and generally does things he would never do when they were married. Maybe there is a lesson there.

I think marriage should be an equal partnership, having said that although I always worked I also took the main responsibility for the kids, but I think that's changing now too and I think men are happier for it

Page 11 of 16 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top