Join for free
Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2016, 02:51 PM

Re: Doing Porridge

I like porridge too for my brekkie.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2016, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pumicestone ->
Decades ago, we used to be able to get something called "first break of wheat" - unbranded, unprocessed, no additives.
This, mixed with porridge - or even by itself - great flavour and texture.
I hear ya !

If I buy porridge I buy the ones mixed with Wheat Bran and Oat Bran. So more of the complete grain and as you right say, far far tastier, with almost a nutty flavour to it.

Sainsbury's do bags of this but if not you can buy the various Brans separately and mix your own.

The rules/laws regarding grain milling and flours are frankly a little silly at times. One thing I never fathomed at all is how Wholewheat flour is charged at a higher price than White flour. The latter has to go through an additional manufacturing process of sifting out the wheatgerm and bran, so more work, more time should mean White flour is cheaper, yet it's the other way around. Madness !

Adds to the conspiracy that they want us to go for the unhealthier option and thus make it cheaper.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2016, 11:27 PM

You were going really well there. Realistic even.

Until we got to the "conspiracy" bit
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2016, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Get your teeth into a shredded wheat Mariana ... it'll do wonders for any diet.

It's just like eating a luifer .
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2016, 06:49 AM

I occasionally have porridge but I'm still hungry an hour later, whereas a fry up keeps me going for hours. I don't much like the texture of porridge and I find it quite bland although I add a few chopped walnuts, a half teasp of honey and also nutmeg. I don't care how good it's supposed to be for me - give me a proper breakfast any time.
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2016, 09:42 AM

I might try weetabix this week--got a recipe for weetabix muffins---weetabix, eggs. muller yogurt, vanilla essenvce, a little sweeteer--mix and cook basicaly-I will be experimenting next week, and let you know !!
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2016, 07:48 PM

Useful too if you run out of polyfilla, sets rock hard......
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-07-2016, 08:56 PM

Is that porridge ? I never have it so I would not know
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2016, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
My Scottish grandfather made it with water, and included salt...ugh.
Gross. I can't even fathom the thought of making it with water. I always make mine with milk and sprinkle in a little brown sugar and a dab of butter.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2016, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I hear ya !

If I buy porridge I buy the ones mixed with Wheat Bran and Oat Bran. So more of the complete grain and as you right say, far far tastier, with almost a nutty flavour to it.

Sainsbury's do bags of this but if not you can buy the various Brans separately and mix your own.

The rules/laws regarding grain milling and flours are frankly a little silly at times. One thing I never fathomed at all is how Wholewheat flour is charged at a higher price than White flour. The latter has to go through an additional manufacturing process of sifting out the wheatgerm and bran, so more work, more time should mean White flour is cheaper, yet it's the other way around. Madness !

Adds to the conspiracy that they want us to go for the unhealthier option and thus make it cheaper.
Because it's healthier. It's like two products sitting on a shelf side by side. Same brand name, same product, but one is lower in fat. The one lower in fat will be the more expensive one. It's crazy. They want people to eat more healthful foods, but they make the better-for-you stuff more costly.

Page 4 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top