Join for free
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2016, 03:41 PM

Here's a tip: if you don't know what you're doing...walk away and leave it alone!!

After finishing at the storage unit this morning I popped in to see my sister, nearby, for a quick hello.

Her downstairs toilet had been leaking badly and she was continually mopping up. Having to go to work, and daughter at work herself, she was concerned about the mess. (Don't ask about the stop valve just yet!)

I looked on Google for advice, and there was a suggestion of putting something under the ball valve to stop more water flowing in, so I tried with a coat hanger...and the whole ball valve arm snapped away. So there was I, trying desperately to plug the torrent of water. it was like the little Dutch boy trying to plug the leak in the dyke!!!!!

Sister, meanwhile, has dashed out to the fish shop, grabbed a customer and hauled him in, who thankfully was able to turn the main stop cock off. She'd tried, but couldn't do it.

Although somebody had offered to take a look later in the evening, I called my plumber who was there in about 20 minutes. I've then had to dash home for my debit card, stop off to get money, and he was just finishing up when I got Back. In the meantime, he'd pointed out the stop valve underneath the cistern! But sister wouldn't have had a screwdriver to hand.

She and I will share the cost (£80, as he put an extra overflow valve in).

At the time, I was in tears, saying sorry over and over again, and thought the worst. But. As we waited for him to turn up, and with the water now off and I'd finished mopping the floor, she said 'we'll laugh about this, when we're old and grey!' But did laugh there.

I felt awful at making things worse, but the job needed doing, and I'm happy a full and professional repair was carried out, and speedily. She and her daughter can now enjoy their little breaks knowing there will be no further problems. Fingers crossed.

However, she does have some damage to her laminate flooring, as it had been leaking overnight, so she's more concerned about that. Poor sis. Things always go badly wrong for her, when she least needs it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2016, 03:53 PM

Re: Here's a tip: if you don't know what you're doing...walk away and leave it alone!!

Oh dear I always think things often have to get worse before they get better, seems the case here. Bet you won't do that again either
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2016, 03:56 PM

Re: Here's a tip: if you don't know what you're doing...walk away and leave it alone!!

Yes, Julie, she agreed that my meddling did get the repair done quicker, than if she'd waited for an in law's brother to look at it later! And there wasn't a guarantee he could have fixed it, because the plumber showed us the little valve that had 'gone', causing the problem.
Indigo
UK
Indigo is female  Indigo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2016, 04:02 PM

Well, I suppose you could have always turned the water off at the mains until a repairman arrived - sorry, just realised that is what she did. I would usually have a go - I have managed to fix all sorts of things from watching YouTube videos! Saved myself a good bit of money.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2016, 04:51 PM

True Jazzi, a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing...
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2016, 04:52 PM

See us men are useful after all.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

01-06-2016, 04:56 PM

Agree Barry and Nom!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2016, 05:10 PM

Hi Jazzi

Sorry to hear about the problems you had. Now that the panic is over it might be worth getting the stop valve changed for a full bore lever valve. These are easily shut off in an emergency.

All stop valves should be turned off and on a couple of times a year to keep them working and the normal tap headed type , when opened should then be closed by half a turn. If the valve does seize up, this gives a little bit of leeway each way to free it.

Sorry, I know it's a bit late for advice in your case but just thought it might help others.

I wonder if the guy in the chip shop really wanted leak pie & chips?
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft

01-06-2016, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Hi Jazzi

Sorry to hear about the problems you had. Now that the panic is over it might be worth getting the stop valve changed for a full bore lever valve. These are easily shut off in an emergency.

All stop valves should be turned off and on a couple of times a year to keep them working and the normal tap headed type , when opened should then be closed by half a turn. If the valve does seize up, this gives a little bit of leeway each way to free it.

Sorry, I know it's a bit late for advice in your case but just thought it might help others.

I wonder if the guy in the chip shop really wanted leak pie & chips?

It's my sister who would have to bear more expense, and I'm not sure how much more she could pay out.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2016, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->

It's my sister who would have to bear more expense, and I'm not sure how much more she could pay out.
Yeah, I do understand. It's just that stop valves are often overlooked until it's too late. If I lived nearby, I would gladly fit one free for her.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top