Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2015, 04:36 PM

Re: Raised dog feeders

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well what ever the research mine don't get so windy and eat slower with a Labrador that is a minor miracle.

But I am starting to think I wish I hadn't bothered to share this idea why one person's choice of feeder is such a problem I cannot understand I thought all dogs were individuals and some may benefit from this but obviously if one members dogs don't need them none of us do
On the contrary Julie if it works for you that is fine.
As I said earier..
Originally Posted by Meg
Ok if is has an injury and is wearing an Elizabethan collar there may be temporary difficulties in which case I would improvise if necessary to raise a bowl with whatever happens to be around.
...so rather than spend money unnecessarily on a special bowl etc I would use whatever was to hand. I have used a plant pot and even an upturned washing up bowl in the past when injury dictated
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2015, 04:41 PM

Good for you we got the plant pots for £3.25 hardly a huge sum and compared with the price of a commercial feeder over £11 each thought it worth mentioning. Not everyone has stuff they can just turn into feeders, my washing up bowl is used for washing up and we don't have spare plant pots so this works for us. But I shan't try to help anyone save money again as obviously they already do it better than me anyway.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2015, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
On the contrary Julie if it works for you that is fine.
As I said earier..

...so rather than spend money unnecessarily on a special bowl etc I would use whatever was to hand. I have used a plant pot and even an upturned washing up bowl in the past when injury dictated

Did you see my post 8 Meg? I used an old clay flower pot that fitted her bowl for my oldie, but now use my plastic foot stool. Sometimes if she wants a drink, I just hold the bowl up for her till she's finished. But as I have said, she was 17 in June, and after 2 strokes, she appreciates a bit of extra help.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2015, 04:48 PM

Raised feeders are used a lot here, we also used them in Africa, main reason being ants often find the food before the dogs.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2015, 05:08 PM

I used a raised feeder when my border collie was ill.. We used a child kitchen step with a non slip surface but I think the plant pot idea is great..
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2015, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Did you see my post 8 Meg? I used an old clay flower pot that fitted her bowl for my oldie, but now use my plastic foot stool. Sometimes if she wants a drink, I just hold the bowl up for her till she's finished. But as I have said, she was 17 in June, and after 2 strokes, she appreciates a bit of extra help.
Hi Mups I have now
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2015, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Raised feeders are used a lot here, we also used them in Africa, main reason being ants often find the food before the dogs.
Gosh makes me see how lucky we are here !
Originally Posted by Cass ->
I used a raised feeder when my border collie was ill.. We used a child kitchen step with a non slip surface but I think the plant pot idea is great..
Yes many things can be used we were using a child kitchen step until we saw this idea, just wanted something that we could have in the living room and was easy to wash up - Elsie is messiest eater I have ever had !
Chris99
Glasgow
Chris99 is female  Chris99 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2015, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well what ever the research mine don't get so windy and eat slower with a Labrador that is a minor miracle.

But I am starting to think I wish I hadn't bothered to share this idea why one person's choice of feeder is such a problem I cannot understand I thought all dogs were individuals and some may benefit from this but obviously if one members dogs don't need them none of us do
Fantastic idea Julie. Thanks for sharing.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2015, 03:42 PM

I've always used them for my dogs when they got old and arthritic, they had no problem with them as someone said, a really big dog has a long way to bend to eat from floor level..

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top