Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2015, 04:49 PM

Re: Should we believe the news channels?

Originally Posted by Fender Bender ->
I do think though that they should tell some semblance of truth, in an unbiased manner.
Flying pigs come to mind...
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2015, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
There is a vast difference between a simple mistake and the harm done by deliberate bias and "manipulating" the truth.
Simple or not, it was still not the truth, and they should know better. Perhaps its simply so that a journalist does not need any knowledge of geography or maths...
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2015, 05:00 PM

OK don't get your pants in an uproar no harm was done with this simple mistake in fact it just make those who spotted it feel superior to the poor dumb news reader.
Fender Bender
By the pc
Fender Bender is male  Fender Bender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2015, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
OK don't get your pants in an uproar no harm was done with this simple mistake in fact it just make those who spotted it feel superior to the poor dumb news reader.
I'm not...but remember there will possibly be millions that believed the words.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2015, 05:12 PM

A few minutes ago, I was watching a news channel. On it, they came out with the phrase "Lancashire in Rochdale" then a little later "the temperature went down from minus 7C to minus 5C.

Both of those statements are, as most will know, incorrect. Rochdale is not even in Lancashire, and a temperature change from -7C to -5C is a rise.

Which made me think. These are relatively simple things to get wrong. So should we believe what they say in regards to more complicated issues?
That is not a lie, it is a mistake, no more.
I don't take any notice of the news stories banded about.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2015, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I thought Rochdale was in Lancashire - isn't where 'our Gracie' found the biggest aspidistra in the world ?
That is what I thought, and to be truthful is were it was till they moved the boundries
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2015, 11:11 PM

They have a lot to answer for.
Fender Bender
By the pc

19-01-2015, 02:28 PM

My final words on this...

At no time did they say "Rochdale in Lancashire." What was said was "Lancashire in Rochdale." A mistake, yes, but a factual mistake, not a silly one.

If for example, I said "Heathrow in Middlesex" older ones might agree with that. Younger people could say "No, its Heathrow in Greater London." To say "London in Heathrow" would be totally wrong, a factual mistake.

Surely, the news channels should try their best to get things right, and not make such mistakes? If they get simple things wrong, how can we believe their reports as regards difficult things?
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2015, 03:45 PM

Strewth FB you must have been a paragon of faultless excellence in your chosen career.
Diamond Lady
South Derbyshire
Diamond Lady is female  Diamond Lady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2015, 05:39 PM

A few minutes ago, I was watching a news channel. On it, they came out with the phrase "Lancashire in Rochdale" then a little later "the temperature went down from minus 7C to minus 5C.

Both of those statements are, as most will know, incorrect. Rochdale is not even in Lancashire, and a temperature change from -7C to -5C is a rise.

Which made me think. These are relatively simple things to get wrong. So should we believe what they say in regards to more complicated issues?
Definitely not !!

Many years ago in my teens, I was staying overnight somewhere and parked my car facing the oncoming traffic and got done !! It appeared in the Tamworth Herald and they got my surname wrong !! I was most perturbed !!

Mind you, can you see anything so trivial being mentioned in a local newspaper these days?!!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top