Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 10:57 PM

A different way of dealing with things.

We've had various posts and opinions about 'Dangerous Dogs' in the past, usually resulting in the vilification and attempted genocide of an entire breed.
Today however, I read something which I thought very interesting and which offers a different way of dealing with the problem altogether:

"When a baby was killed by a German Shepherd in France, the adult in charge was arrested for not adequately supervising the baby".

I thought that could be a very good idea here too. What do you think?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2014, 11:16 PM

Re: A different way of dealing with things.

Very good idea! I wouldn't leave my dog, even though he is a softie with my grandson. We had a collie cross years ago, she was lovely natured, yet one day my daughter's friend twisted her ears and the dog bit her, the mother said she wanted our dog put down but we talked her round as it was the girl's fault, being about 10 years old she should have known better, but since then I've been very wary of children around dogs.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2014, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
"When a baby was killed by a German Shepherd in France, the adult in charge was arrested for not adequately supervising the baby".

I thought that could be a very good idea here too. What do you think?
Oh Mups, don't get me started on parents, unsupervised kids, and dogs. I'm getting old now and when I finally depart this mortal coil I want to go to the doggy heaven not the human one
donnamarie
RI, USA
donnamarie is female 

12-12-2014, 12:32 AM

I think its a splendid idea. Common sense tells you to: keep an eye on your children, keep an eye on any animals in the area, and if that doggy over there is cute; its still got teeth/jaws that can hurt. Rover's just an animal; he's going to react by instinct. He's not going to rationalize that he can't bite a human because its a child.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2014, 01:39 AM

I also agree that owners should be made responsible for not supervising children when around dogs. I also feel very strongly that people who have children should never be allowed to take any of the so called dangerous breeds as pets, or otherwise.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2014, 08:15 AM

Is this better?

An owner of a pack of dogs has been fined more than $1,500 for an attack on a woman pushing a pram at Bellambi last month.

Danielle Vaughan says she was bitten by one of five dogs, all said to be German Shepherds, after they rushed at her from the off-leash area adjacent to the boat ramp.

Wollongong Council says it's now issued the fine to the owner along with a notice of intention to declare the dog dangerous.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2014, 09:24 AM

I agree the supervision of the child is most important and probably best way to go but I am usually unhappy hearing a child has died and we still prosecute the parent who lets face it are possibly suffering the worst loss they could ever do.

Better to have some laws in place about keeping dogs with children I would have thought. Some people do need clear instructions they cannot think for themselves.

I always thought I would keep my dogs separate from the children but over the years have relented at times when a small soul had a bad dream and wanted a cuddly body on the bed with them. Always been fine but I am very aware I was not supervising them closely as I would doing the day.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2014, 09:27 AM

Great idea. Owners need to take responsibility for their pets.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2014, 09:30 AM

The owners of these dogs should definitely be prosecuted - no question on that !
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2014, 09:42 AM

I really don't know where/why things have gone so wrong with this world. When I was growing up children and dogs went together like bread with honey or peaches with cream. You hardly ever saw a child, apart from school time, without the family dog in tow. Our dogs joined in all our games - they were Indian Scouts or Safari Guides and we loved every minute. It is very sad that people speak these days of keeping children and dogs apart thus depriving both of a loyal and lasting friendship.

Maybe there were not the 'dangerous cross breeds' when I was a child although, thinking about it, all our family dogs were mongrel.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top