Join for free
Page 7 of 11 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 12:58 PM

Re: That Speech in April 1968

Of course if you can't stand the heat - then I suggest you don't start cooking.

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Our lot do - due to shortage of housing - I am stunned by your naïve posts on this, we just go on and on do we? let more and more enter ....? Unbelievable
You appear to give no thought to the consequences of that at all. I'm out, me blood pressure can't handle this discussion .......
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 01:15 PM

I live in a wee simple world where I think the world belongs to all of us, no matter where we want to live, or move to. I work where there are people from all over the world employed there. All having come here and have got homes. Patients from over the world who, quite often, have been injured whilst doing jobs that slobs in our country would not get out of bed for, so they end up in our NHS hospitals getting treatment that they deserve. The junkies get it, so why shouldn't they?

Simple as that really. You can think what you want about my post
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->

There is plenty to go around, we are still in the top 5 richest countries.
That's a bit like telling shipwrecked people in a lifeboat - "Don't worry there's plenty of room in that luxury yacht over there which you don't actually have access to, so we'll keep putting more survivors into your already overcrowded liferaft."

England is currently the most overcrowded major country in Europe and, according to government figures, 70% of our population increase is due to immigration. Whereas the population of many other major countries in Europe is going down, England's is still on the increase and it is projected that by 2050 the UK population could have reached 80,000,000.
Do you really think that there will have been any significant redistribution of wealth by then - I think the opposite is likely to be the case and an even bigger proportion of the nations wealth will be concentrated in fewer and fewer hands.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 01:57 PM

Regardless of how we feel about immigration surely we must all agree that our population as a country will at some point reach saturation point, so then will we will have no choice but to curtail the influx. The question is of course is what do we consider to be saturation point, is it when we reach 70 million, 100 million, or when we are down to the last square yard of land and the last gallon of water?

The truth is that we are a small island that is already the most heavily populated in Europe and our natural resources although considerable are finite, so the more people we accomodate the less there is to go around. Is it better then to maintain a good quality of life for the population that we now have or to continue welcoming all and sundry with no limitation, who would have no regard for our limited resources and would readily consume them until exhausted?

Where would the pro immigration lobby draw the line?
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 02:33 PM

Despite what others attribute to me and believe of me I don't actually have an opinion on immigration policy and whether continuing immigration should or should not be allowed .

What I believe strongly is that once here through legal means they should be entitled to have the same standard of living as anybody else .

I've said before that dissatisfaction with living standards, public services and measures of austerity is absolutely nothing to do with immigration but is poor economic management. Clearly however divide and rule keeps the heat off those that are clearly to blame.

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Regardless of how we feel about immigration surely we must all agree that our population as a country will at some point reach saturation point, so then will we will have no choice but to curtail the influx. The question is of course is what do we consider to be saturation point, is it when we reach 70 million, 100 million, or when we are down to the last square yard of land and the last gallon of water?

The truth is that we are a small island that is already the most heavily populated in Europe and our natural resources although considerable are finite, so the more people we accomodate the less there is to go around. Is it better then to maintain a good quality of life for the population that we now have or to continue welcoming all and sundry with no limitation, who would have no regard for our limited resources and would readily consume them until exhausted?

Where would the pro immigration lobby draw the line?
Baxter8
Somerset

13-10-2014, 02:46 PM

To be fair your analogy doesn't quite fit. It would be more like the luxury liner inviting everybody aboard through policies and membership and then shoving them in a corner with the already overstretched stressed out staff and encouraging dissent.

I believe England is overcrowded I haven't checked your sources so I've no idea what the expected increase is going to be but I don't see what the solution would be to the points raised on this thread - it can only be

(1) forced repatriation (not very humane, heavily resisted and as most are 2nd and 3rd generation an operational nightmare)
(2) carry on as we are; or
(3) wealth distribution.

I think you're right it will probably be carrying on as we are but with significantly less resources being available to those at the bottom of the ladder and even more social discontent. Whatever money is saved by cheap imported labour and reduced public services will be spent on extra policing.

Perhaps then we can have our revolution?

Originally Posted by MickB ->
That's a bit like telling shipwrecked people in a lifeboat - "Don't worry there's plenty of room in that luxury yacht over there which you don't actually have access to, so we'll keep putting more survivors into your already overcrowded liferaft."

England is currently the most overcrowded major country in Europe and, according to government figures, 70% of our population increase is due to immigration. Whereas the population of many other major countries in Europe is going down, England's is still on the increase and it is projected that by 2050 the UK population could have reached 80,000,000.
Do you really think that there will have been any significant redistribution of wealth by then - I think the opposite is likely to be the case and an even bigger proportion of the nations wealth will be concentrated in fewer and fewer hands.
mysterie
Sydney, Australia
mysterie is female  mysterie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2014, 10:01 PM

Our lot do - due to shortage of housing - I am stunned by your naïve posts on this, we just go on and on do we? let more and more enter ....? Unbelievable
You appear to give no thought to the consequences of that at all. I'm out, me blood pressure can't handle this discussion .......
Don't let the posts get to you Patsy, you have the same right to voice your thoughts and opinions as we all do, look at the posts as words not emotion - we do not know how people feel when typing.

Immigration has gone too far, the borders need closing and all illegals need to be removed. UK is a small Island that is overflowing with outsiders that will not fight for their own country of origin. What is here today are immigrants that have no skills, cannot speak any English yet know where to go for everything free.

This is not a wealthy nor healthy country - it is a shambles now.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 09:53 AM

Really - so they 'choose' to congregate in the London parks both day and through the night, not forgetting the subways .... I didn't know we had such resources having watched every docu on housing, that suggests 'strongly' the opposite
Not to mention the 'other' draining resources NHS etc.
Why do you think 'they choose' to come here, I know, because I watch the docus and hear it from them - what do you watch ?
I agree, Patsy - the ones living rough and contributing b****r all to society shouldn't be welcome but I think I've said that before....
I always thought free movement meant freedom to find work, presumably beforehand, then move to another country and pay your way not doss on somebody's doorstep and expect all found...
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 09:59 AM

I've mentioned on another thread that there are builders renovating our flats at the moment. The biggest perentage of them are Eastern European. Slogging their guts out whilst wee Jimmy McDonald up the road is sitting on his a""e watching Jeremy Kyle, smoking a joint and swigging back a can of beer. Getting every benefit going. Same as in my workplace. Lots of Eastern Europeans who work hard. I cannot tar them all with the same brush as the Jimmy McDonalds, who are to blame for the hellish mess this country is in and are getting away with it and will continue to do so.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-10-2014, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I agree, Patsy - the ones living rough and contributing b****r all to society shouldn't be welcome but I think I've said that before....
I always thought free movement meant freedom to find work, presumably beforehand, then move to another country and pay your way not doss on somebody's doorstep and expect all found...
Its the attitude of them that gets me - years ago I shed tears for them, now its 'lets all jump on the bandwagon' - we 'want to go to Engaland'
No other place will do eh - because of the benefits here .....
Its no good having closed eyes and mind in a situation like this.

Page 7 of 11 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top