Join for free
Page 9 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2009, 05:11 PM

Re: Blood pressure

Originally Posted by nero ->
The optimum time to take a reading is when you get up in the morning before drinking tea or coffee, . . . if you forget leave it for at least an hour after eating or drinking anything.
Great advise Denis, the caffeine will make your BP rise. I have switched to half and half. Half regular and half decaf and I like it just as well.
Miranda53
Buckinghamshire, UK
Miranda53 is female  Miranda53 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2010, 11:15 AM

Another high blood pressure sufferer here

I've had it since my late '20s, no particular reason. Been on tablets all that time.

My biggest problem seems to be that I get extremely nervous going to the doc to have it checked, and it's always about 20 points higher than it is on my home monitor. My last few readings at the surgery have been really high, and I'm dreading the thought of being put on a THIRD medication, to go with the other two I already take.

If anyone has any tips on relaxing in the surgery, please pass them on . I've tried deep breathing exercises without much success!
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2010, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Miranda53 ->

I've had it since my late '20s, no particular reason. Been on tablets all that time.

My biggest problem seems to be that I get extremely nervous going to the doc to have it checked, and it's always about 20 points higher than it is on my home monitor. My last few readings at the surgery have been really high, and I'm dreading the thought of being put on a THIRD medication, to go with the other two I already take.

If anyone has any tips on relaxing in the surgery, please pass them on . I've tried deep breathing exercises without much success!
I have a home blood pressure monitor and have taken my blood pressure at home morning and evening over a week before visiting the surgery. The doctor can then have a more accurate idea of what your blood pressure is normally.

Sometimes they may ask you to take your home bp monitor to the surgery to compare the readings with their monitor.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2010, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Miranda53 ->

Alternatively go to the nurse and she will take it instead of the doctor.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2010, 06:49 PM

and I'm dreading the thought of being put on a THIRD medication, to go with the other two I already take.

I too am on medication for high BP(but it isn`t)-sometimes a cocktail works best. Yoga helps but some of us are just prone to high BP and if tablets work and there are no side effects then that`s OK by me
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2010, 02:28 PM

Have brought my self a moniter thanks to a link I found on this site.

Up until Christmas I was most of the time just below 140 and now and again the high 140.

Lately its being hitting 160 with lows of high 140.

Is it lack of exercise, depression with the weather, need for a higher drug, I am to see the nurse in 3 weeks time she will just put my drugs up and tell me to stop drinking.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2010, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->

Up until Christmas I was most of the time just below 140 and now and again the high 140.

Is it lack of exercise, depression with the weather, need for a higher drug, I am to see the nurse in 3 weeks time she will just put my drugs up and tell me to stop drinking.
Take care Galty, . . remember there are 2 readings, . . Diastolic and Sytolic, . . both are relevant, the ideal is 120 - 140 over 80.
buzzie
USA
buzzie is female  buzzie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2010, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->

I do think lack of exercise and depression can be the reason or part of it. Hope they can get you on the right track when you see the nurse. Bring your monitor with you so she can see the memory and it will give her a good idea but I'm sure you can see how quickly blood pressure changes.
gallina
New Member!
Manchester,UK
gallina is female 

10-02-2010, 04:32 PM

We have a BP monitor at home as OH has to check his regularly. On the odd occasion I have checked mine it has been anything from 101/63 to 125/82. Even at times when I have considered myself quite stressed it has been in the low range, so if ever it starts to be higher I'll know there is something wrong.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-02-2010, 09:23 PM

A visit to the Nurse today

Result is she put my medication(ramipril) up from 5mg to 10 mg.

BP had being in between145 to 158 average with the dia over 100

Well have to get more exercise in when the weather gets better.

Four hours after upping dose 130/80

Just retaken it after a couple of glasses of red wine 134/89

Page 9 of 11 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top