Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
chris
hebrides.uk
chris is female  chris has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2013, 03:57 PM

Re: My Izzy seems unwell

Originally Posted by lowfiron ->
Glad to hear Izzy is on the mend.
Never had problems with frontline.
It's true that not all dogs are affected by the systemic Frontline Combo. I was so sorry that two of my three dogs were. We have a problem here with ticks that is the reason I used it. Cost me a lot of cash at the Vets for antibiotics & steroids to clear up the issue(s) & Mollys eyes are still not 100%. I only checked Frontline on Amazon after the serious reactions. Like humans I guess that not all medications are suitable for all including our animals. Would be interesting for you to check out all the contraindications for Frontline on Amazon to see just how cats & dogs are affected.

Hope your Izzy is getting better every day.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2013, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by chris ->
It's true that not all dogs are affected by the systemic Frontline Combo. I was so sorry that two of my three dogs were. .
Hi chris,
Is the Frontline combo the same as the Frontline Spot-on?
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2013, 01:25 PM

That's what I was wondering. I know there are some medication taken in pill form to control ticks and fleas.. I have never given that to my animals as I am always leary of systemic treatments. You are giving your pet Poison.. it's poison to the fleas.. and we are having our babies ingest it. Not my kids.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2013, 01:40 PM

Mmm, I wouldn't give anything internally either Audrey.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2013, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Mmm, I wouldn't give anything internally either Audrey.
It's called CapStar and it's a pill. My vet claims it's safe.. The breeder gave me two pills to give to Baby Murphy but I refused to.. I just don't like that idea. Here's the info about it.

http://capstar.novartis.us/
vivity
Perth Western Australia
vivity is female  vivity has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2013, 02:08 PM

Hope she is fully recovered - bad as having a baby who can't talk. When my dog was sick after chewing on Jarrah and a swallowed splinter penetrated and caused an abscess on her pancreas all I could do was stroke and cuddle her post op. no way to explain, I felt quiite helpless. Dogs are part of our families aren't they and very precious so I know how you feel.
AudreyII
USA

25-09-2013, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by vivity ->
Hope she is fully recovered - bad as having a baby who can't talk. When my dog was sick after chewing on Jarrah and a swallowed splinter penetrated and caused an abscess on her pancreas all I could do was stroke and cuddle her post op. no way to explain, I felt quiite helpless. Dogs are part of our families aren't they and very precious so I know how you feel.
I know... it's so hard to watch them in obvious discomfort or pain and have no idea what the trouble is or how to help. All you can do is go to the vet and hope he/she can sort it out.. Izzy appears to be over what was troubling her on Saturday when she could hardly stand up. No clue what the deal was.
chris
hebrides.uk
chris is female  chris has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2013, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Hi chris,
Is the Frontline combo the same as the Frontline Spot-on?
Hi Mups, Frontline Spoton kills fleas & ticks. The Frontline Combo has another ingredient that inhibits the developement of fleas eggs, larvae & pupae. I bought a steam cleaner & use this in the areas where the dogs are. I also wash their bedding every wk (which is a drag.) You normally can only buy the Combo from a Vets practise. Re; Izzy's skin, I use E45 Lotion on my wee rescue dogs skin & rub it in well. I wash it off weekly & reapply after 2 days. Not good to wash the dog so often but it's a lot cheaper than Fuciderm & does the trick. I have had this dog for about 5 years & we love her to bits. She is blind through the severe diabetes but so far we have managed to save her. She gives us plenty of love in return. Every day she gets through is a big bonus for us.
lowfiron
Ojai, CA, USA
lowfiron is male  lowfiron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2013, 06:21 PM

I put Frontline on Ray and never gave him a bath since he was about 4 or 5. It might have been because he jumped into the ocean all the time. He never stank beyond the usual doggie smell. Each dog is different.
I was thinking it would be possible for a dog to become sensitive to Frontline or a similar stuff. People develop allergies and so do dogs.
I now remember my dog from the 70s, a long hair BC x Aussie developed a nasty skin infection which was caused by an allergy. If was difficult to figure it out. We finally did and changed her diet and used some kind of lotion, like a steroid stuff, I think. She took a prednisone series too.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

25-09-2013, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
It's called CapStar and it's a pill. My vet claims it's safe.. The breeder gave me two pills to give to Baby Murphy but I refused to.. I just don't like that idea. Here's the info about it.

http://capstar.novartis.us/
Must be mighty powerful stuff if it starts killing them within 30 mins as it states. Don't blame you for refusing, so would I have done, especially for one so young.
I believe sometimes pups are so overloaded with chemicals at a very young age e.g. Vaccinations, de-fleaing chemicals, worming chemicals etc.
It's only my personal choice, but I do not de-flea unless I find a flea in the first place. I worm usually twice a year, spring and autumn, (not every few weeks like some drug comapanies suggest), and like Chris, I steam clean my carpets and wash the dogs bedding every week without fail. The only time I've have found a couple of fleas on 2 of the dogs was earlier this year when a hedgehog was creeping about in the garden, and its common knowledge hedgehogs are alive with fleas usually.
I have a homeopathic remedy I give after puppy injections to lessen any side effects, and I give probiotics if they have needed antibiotics.
But I guess we all have to do what our conscience tells us.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top