Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2013, 08:26 PM

Re: Who Likes Thunderstorms?

I agree with most of you. I love storms too, even if I'm trying to sleep. Can't wait for one now.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2013, 08:28 PM

I like watching thunderstorms too as long as I'm in the safety of my home or car.

My mother on the other hand is frightened of them. I can always remember, as a child, the stainless steel draining board being covered with tea towels when there was a storm. Not sure why, maybe she thought it would get struck.
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2013, 08:33 PM

I hate thunderstorms - terrified of them. No way would I go out when one is occuring.
zoolady100
Warkworth, Canada
zoolady100 is female 

20-07-2013, 08:50 PM

My mother told me when she was a kid (she had been born in 1927) that if there was a storm , everyone was to go & sit in a chair with their feet off the floor & stay still.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2013, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Cheshire Cat ->
I like watching thunderstorms too as long as I'm in the safety of my home or car.

My mother on the other hand is frightened of them. I can always remember, as a child, the stainless steel draining board being covered with tea towels when there was a storm. Not sure why, maybe she thought it would get struck.

The reason draining board was covered was to stop reflection of lightning Joy darlin'
Uncle Mo
Hitchin Hertfordshire UK
Uncle Mo is male  Uncle Mo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2013, 09:06 PM

In North Herts UK. I can remember as a lad in the late 50s early 60s watching a lightning storm. It never came down to earth, there was no thunder and many red strikes at the same time seem to run down and around the clouds; I was fascinated and watched them for ages.
zoolady100
Warkworth, Canada
zoolady100 is female 

20-07-2013, 09:38 PM

Wow UM, I've never heard of that.
Nature is pretty scary at times.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 06:37 AM

I remember once - on holiday in the Wicklow mountains - we were sitting in the garden, in bright sunshine, looking down on a thunder storm happening in the village below - weird !

I used to love storms - until my house was struck. Went off them after that. It was an old house and much of the eletrical wiring was encased in metal 'conduits' - don't think they do that now (?) - anyway, during a really bad storm the lightning struck one of these - every light bulb in the house exploded - and all the electrics went off! Waited until the storm had passed - about another 15 mins - took a torch up into the loft to check that there were no smouldering cables, then sat and mended all the fuses. When I went to replace the light bulbs I found that all the brass bits had melted into the holders - so I ended up having to buy new ones and rewire them all ! Moved house shortly after that. Not too keen on storms now at all.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 08:46 AM

I have no strong feelings about storms in particular except on one occasion when I was cycling home from work in a severe thunderstorm with lightning striking the ground several times in the paddocks either side of the road. I thought that was a bit hairy.

A bloke I used to work with many years ago is a storm chaser and just spent his holiday in the USA chasing storms in the tornado belt of America. We don't get the storms like they do there. He has a web site:

http://ozthunder.com/

And a YouTube site where he puts his videos of storms - some are quite interesting or spectacular.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ozthunder
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-07-2013, 10:46 AM

We had a large labrador/collie cross who was terrified of storms, she had to sit on your lap and shake. Squashed us several times!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top