Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2012, 11:00 PM

Advancing age

Does advancing age, exempt one from social responsibillity, I.E, if the remaining days (as a side effect of advancing) result in bad/ antisocial behaviour. Should the individual still be accountable for their actions, or should they be pardoned, in respect of their many years here, and their potential short "Time Frame" remaining?.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2012, 11:47 PM

Re: Advancing age

No age should be exempt from social responsibility. I've read about old ladies and old chaps being given an ASBO for disorderly conduct, and rightly so.

If a person creates havoc, they've probably been like that all their lives. One doesn't suddenly become violent, criminal or other law breaker just because of advancing years.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2012, 11:49 PM

Hi Paul another of your thought provoking questions..

Unless someone has an age related mental health problem which affects their cognitive ability I think the should be socially responsible and accountable for their actions.

With a few exceptions, people do not know how much time they have remaining, we can die at any age. So time remaining should not be a mitigating factor when someone elderly behaves badly
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2012, 06:57 AM

No matter how old you are you have a certain amount of responcibility to others, but I have to say I refuse to lie down and be walked over by any one just because I am old.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2012, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
No age should be exempt from social responsibility. I've read about old ladies and old chaps being given an ASBO for disorderly conduct, and rightly so.

If a person creates havoc, they've probably been like that all their lives. One doesn't suddenly become violent, criminal or other law breaker just because of advancing years.
Not true Mollie, when some folks get older, their brain acts in peculiar ways.
For instance an old chap in hospital was walking around with nothing on, in front of visitors.
Nurses went up to him and steered him back too his bed.
Myself in 2009 was on hallucinating drugs, and by golly that was horrific, I apparently behaved abominably, doing things that I would never do normally.
I think every case is different, and should be treated that way.
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

11-08-2012, 09:05 AM

In my opinion, age should not be used as an excuse for antisocial behaviour. There are exceptions to this, in cases of dementia or any other similar problems, and for obvious reasons, if people are taking strong drugs for any reason, then their behaviour will be erratic.

But as a general rule, I think too many elderly people take advantage of their age to behave in an antisocial manner. They generally get away with it if it just involves being rude to people but when they take it too far they deserve to be punished the same as someone younger would. As far as I'm aware, there are more and more ASBOs being handed out to the elderly now than ever before and that's an indication of some people's attitudes to law and order. Some of them clearly think they're beyond the law now that they're old.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2012, 10:17 AM

Isn't it all a matter of degree?

I know a chappy who is rather lovely and a terrible flirt (aged about 75) ... but the noisy kids in the library drive him wild and his solution is to walk up to these little tribes of youthful overbrimming energy and threaten to throw them headfirst out of the window (upstairs too!). It's true ... I've stood next to him as he said it and my jaw dropped open.

He's not normally cantankerous but does have one or two ailments, as is to be expected ... and the librarian handles it quite well. Must do .. as no little kids have turned into splodges on the pavement outside.
Erinaceous
East Anglia
Erinaceous is male  Erinaceous has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2012, 11:17 AM

We need to take increasing care regarding our conduct because like it or lump it increasing numbers of younger people view old people with contempt and even resentment.

To increasing numbers of them, in spite of how our nearest and dearest treat us, we are becoming a latter day personification of “Lebensunwertes Leben”, (life unworthy of life) when it comes to them paying taxes to support us. That combined with envy that we Baby Boomers had advantages that for them simply don’t exist today.

Then there’s the swing in society towards selfishness rather than respect for others, and this accounts in part for the abuse that old people now so often experience in hospitals and “care” homes.

We ignore this growing trend at our peril. We need to recognise that young tax payers are paying for most of us - and behave accordingly.

The game has changed.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2012, 11:23 AM

Then there’s the swing in society towards selfishness rather than respect for others, and this accounts in part for the abuse that old people now so often experience in hospitals and “care” homes.

We ignore this growing trend at our peril. We need to recognise that young tax payers are paying for most of us - and behave accordingly.

Yes matey, that trend started under Margaret Hilda (phth, phth,phth) when she tried to assert that "there's no such thing as society". She started the trend of the 'selfish' society.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2012, 11:27 AM

Yes ... Erinaceous,that's all well and good but I'm assuming you're saying us more mature peeps should 'recognise that young tax payers are paying for most of us - and behave accordingly' ... in a sad state of affairs, droll, tongue in cheek kind of way.

I'm afraid I'd say to a young un'
Who do they think paid the taxes before you. It's like handing over the baton in a relay race. The current 'elderly', for want of a better word, have done their stint and are therefore not a drain or any encumberance on the next, younger generation who now have to do their bit.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top