Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2012, 04:13 PM

Re: Call To End Right To Buy.

My parents only had the luxury of financial stability as you call it because they worked for it and bought a house. They had nothing handed to them on a plate. Many others in their home lived there free. So if you don't bother all your life you get it given to you. If you try and do your best you get it taken away. That is what makes it wrong. Same as people having kids they can't afford. If you can't afford something don't have it but don't expect things handed to you on a plate just because you are irresponsible. I hate and detest the current council house system and I always will. Sorry if you don't agree but thats the way I feel.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2012, 05:40 PM

Hey guys ... I don't see a conflict here ... not really.

Like so much thesedays the pendulum always swings in favour of the young with families. The criticism there been that they plan a family (or don't as the case maybe) and get offered housing because they're just starting out.

Fair point ... what about the more mature couple (or single person) who isn't starting out but realistically still qualify because they can't afford private rent or are not a home owner? To be blunt the pendulum has swung too far in the youngsters favour and doesn't look set to change.
Likewise you probably don't want to be saddled with heating a three bed property ... nor be moved into a flat .. but because the priorities are all wrong there is a scarcity of bungalows.
mazzie
Scotland
mazzie is female 

31-07-2012, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
My parents only had the luxury of financial stability as you call it because they worked for it and bought a house. They had nothing handed to them on a plate. Many others in their home lived there free. So if you don't bother all your life you get it given to you. If you try and do your best you get it taken away.
And if you worked all your life and were never able to earn enough to secure some financial stability.............then what? I had nothing 'handed to me on a plate' as you put it..................my husband worked all his adult life and I worked when I was in a position to do so. We paid rent, rates and then council tax, we paid national insurance contributions and tax..............and you think that's not good enough. Well, I'm sorry but I think I'm done with this thread because you, dog lover, are obviously an out and out snob which is evident in the last sentence of your post.
"I hate and detest the current council house system and I always will."

I'm happy for you that you're in the fortunate position of being financially secure but you obviously don't have any tolerance for people who didn't manage to get quite so far up the financial ladder.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2012, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by mazzie ->

I'm happy for you that you're in the fortunate position of being financially secure but you obviously don't have any tolerance for people who didn't manage to get quite so far up the financial ladder.
Everything I have I have worked for and still work for so anyone else can do the same. I have paid into private pension schemes all my working life to ensure my retirement. Again anyone else can do the same. Its not rocket science just common sense. I am not a sponger and never will be. If I am financially secure as you put it its because I have worked and planned for it. I have a lot of sympathy for people who have had to give up work due to poor health but for everyone else its up to them and no-one else.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-07-2012, 08:59 PM

In Spain they have a different system for those that wish to be, although you will find that private renting is far more accepted by the Spanish.

Buying your own property in Spain is a much more recent phenomenon and, from what I understand, when a developer builds a new urbanization etc., a certain percentage of that has to be for 'social housing' which means it is offered to members of the public at cost (what it cost to build it) and also with a low rate government backed (or supplied) mortgage.

This enables people who have been priced out of the market place in the last few years a chance at getting on the property ladder.

Also there is another way into "social" housing with Local Councils allowing for building contractors and developing companies to build in public sites or with public loans on condition that a certain percentage of apartments remain subsidised and under control of the local authorities.

This is known as VPO Viviendas de Protección Oficial
In those properties it's up to the local council to monitor that are used only by those that truly need them so means testing is a possibility but I don't know if that actually happens.

Down-sizing in these properties in no problem - pity it's so convoluted over here! stevmk2
dollie
west sussex
dollie is female  dollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2012, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
Everything I have I have worked for and still work for so anyone else can do the same. I have paid into private pension schemes all my working life to ensure my retirement. Again anyone else can do the same. Its not rocket science just common sense. I am not a sponger and never will be. If I am financially secure as you put it its because I have worked and planned for it. I have a lot of sympathy for people who have had to give up work due to poor health but for everyone else its up to them and no-one else.
you have a very blinkered attitude not everyone is fortunate enough to pay into a private pension for their retirement...common sense doesnt even come into it....not everyone who is on benefits is a sponger!!! there are genuine people in the 'real 'world that are struggling to make ends meet because their wages are so low...perhaps you should walk a day in their shoes and then perhaps you wouldnt be so judgmental...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top