Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Jimbo
Aberdeen,UK
Jimbo is male  Jimbo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2012, 10:27 PM

Re: Claw Trimming Time.

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
All my previous cats were indoor/outdoor so theirs got worn down.

Our Tippy is an indoor cat and we're her second home. I wonder now if she got her name because the tips of her claws always catch on the rug?

Hello Annie..............If Tippy`s claws always catch on the rug...she need her claws trimmed
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2012, 10:39 PM

Can you file the sharp tip off cats' claws Jimbo? Mind you I can't see any cat allowing this! Just wondering because that's what I did with my dogs' claws.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2012, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo ->
Hello Annie..............If Tippy`s claws always catch on the rug...she need her claws trimmed
It'll take a much braver soul than I to try it!
Jimbo
Aberdeen,UK
Jimbo is male  Jimbo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2012, 10:05 AM

It'll take a much braver soul than I to try it!
Take her to the Vet Annie dear It only takes a few minutes,
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2012, 06:58 PM

I always trimmed our cat's claws, The first couple were indoor outdoor cats, but we had young children who used to play with the cats and get the occasional scratch, and the present cat is an indoor cat. Takes 2 to trim cats claws unless it's particularly docile. If you grab the cat by the scruff of the neck they go into kitten mode and you can do most anything with them. I get my daughter to hold trouble by the scruff of the neck then if you press gently on the top of the toe, the claw pops out ready to trim with clippers.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2012, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chippy ->
I always trimmed our cat's claws, The first couple were indoor outdoor cats, but we had young children who used to play with the cats and get the occasional scratch, and the present cat is an indoor cat. Takes 2 to trim cats claws unless it's particularly docile. If you grab the cat by the scruff of the neck they go into kitten mode and you can do most anything with them. I get my daughter to hold trouble by the scruff of the neck then if you press gently on the top of the toe, the claw pops out ready to trim with clippers.
....... just make sure you don't accidently cut the quick, especially on cats who have black claws.
Chippy
Yorkshire UK
Chippy is male  Chippy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2012, 07:26 PM

Luckily all our cats had almost transparent claws so you could see what you were doing. But I was used to it as I used to breed birds and often had to trim claws.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2012, 08:14 PM

My sister is a vet and she'd gladly do it but she's a 3.5 hour drive away. I might have pet nail clippers somewhere... or will regular ones do? Hers are mostly transparent.
Jimbo
Aberdeen,UK

06-05-2012, 10:04 PM

My sister is a vet and she'd gladly do it but she's a 3.5 hour drive away. I might have pet nail clippers somewhere... or will regular ones do? Hers are mostly transparent.

I bought a pair of pet clippers on the internet......just like the Vet uses...............BUT I chickened out of doing them myself.....Charlie being a Maine Coon is a big cat with BIG feet. The feet are covered in fur.....you cant see the claws.To dangerous for me to do...................So our Vet is 5 minutes away and is the cheapest in town......£6......I rest my case.
Mags was right when she said you got to watch the quick.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

07-05-2012, 09:35 PM

Well... I may see if Miss Tippy lets me handle her paws, play with her a bit first.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top