Join for free
Westie
London, UK
Westie is male 

06-08-2011, 07:58 PM

Sh*t My Dad Says by Justin Halpern

Another of the wife's reviews (she is too young to be on here in case you were wondering!) I'd love it if my children quoted me... but alas, I'm not half as profound as Justin's father.

Shit My Dad Says by Justin Halpern

Easy to read...and very very funny. Everyone has a dad /uncle / grand-dad who spouts fantasically outrageous/ profound/ philosophical / funny / grumpy one liners. Justin Halpern has taken these and woven them perfectly into his life story.

If you enjoy his outburts like: Your brother brought his baby over this morning. He told me it could stand. It couldn't stand for sh*t. Just sat there. Big let down. you'll love this book.

Unlike other memoirs, the chapters seem to be split into episodic themes about the author's relationship with his father, with the classic quotes highlighting each one. Sometimes it needs a US/UK translation, but that doesn't detract from the humour at all.

Quotes at the end of each chapter have sub headings too for ease of reference. EG

On asking to have the candy passed during watching 'Shindlers List'

What do you want - the candy? They're throwing people in the f*cking gas chamber, and you want a Skittles?

...or, as most of us will empathise with:

On Silence

I just want silence ...Jesus, it doesn't mean I don't like you. It just means right now, I like silence more.

Highly recommended.

I read it too and can concur.... very funny

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top