Join for free
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2011, 02:58 PM

reading material

Hello looking for some good reading material, just read a book called the road less travelled, excellent read. Anyone suggest something light hearted.
Westie
London, UK
Westie is male 

14-07-2011, 06:10 PM

Re: reading material

There are a couple of books I've recently read. I'm an avid reader ... of first chapters. It takes a lot to get me really excited about a book ... but a couple of light reads that I really enjoyed and would recommend 100% are:

Police, Crime & 999 by John Donoghue.

In his 40's he jacked in his job and joined the police. This is his story of a year on the front line. It doesn't sound like a light read from my description, but believe me it is. A really easy read - it's informative, entertaining and the author's self-mocking style makes it just hilarious. THE best book I've read this year.

A Year of Living Biblically by AJ Jacobs.

Basically ones man's quest to obey every rule in the bible ...and I mean 'every'. Not just the 10 Commandments, but all the Old Testament stuff too. Again... doesn't sound like a light read... but it is. Ever so funny ...and interesting. The best book I read Last year!

The Naked Jape by Jimmy Carr. Uncovering the hidden world of jokes....lots of laughs. Not sure when I read that!

Hope that helps Jean
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2011, 04:36 PM

Any of Elizabeth Peters Amelia Peabody Egyptian novels ...... light reading,amusing, clever plots.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2011, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Any of Elizabeth Peters Amelia Peabody Egyptian novels ...... light reading,amusing, clever plots.
I had bought an Agatha Christie book called 'Death comes as an end', it was with two other Christie novels in a jumble sale lot and when I saw it was set in Egypt I was not too keen to get started on it, mainly because of all the strange names and places that I would have to remember as I read through it. Then one night when I had nothing to read in bed I picked it up and got started, I was pleasantly surprised, a great story and a brilliant plot and what a surprising ending!. I often wonder why it was never filmed or televised.
Jean
Northern ireland
Jean is female  Jean has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2011, 03:19 PM

thanks that has given me some ideas.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top