Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-09-2009, 08:21 PM

Re: Superstitions

I`m not superstitious. I get moaned at for putting shoes on tables- apparently that`s bad luck No idea why. I bet some farmers wife got fed up with muddy boots on the table and made it up.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2009, 09:45 AM

Yes - we had shoes on the table too. No idea what the origin of that might be.

Break a boiled egg shell to 'save a sailor' Eh???

When giving a purse/wallet as a gift always put a coin in it for good luck
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2009, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by dinahsmum ->
Yes - we had shoes on the table too. No idea what the origin of that might be.
I think it has something to do with the old tradition of dressing a dead person in new clothes and shoes and laying them out (often on a table) so that people could pay their respects. The shoes were often placed at the side of the body.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2009, 01:56 PM

I'm not superstitious either, but like the OP I avoid walking under ladders (without even thinking about it) just because it's so ingrained.

It's a great example of how powerful things in your upbringing (and/or social pressure, religious doctrine, etc) really is.

I hope humanity progresses to a point where logic and reason is key, especially from an early age.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top