Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
veganchick
United Kingdom
veganchick is female  veganchick has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2016, 12:57 PM

Superbugs from your Supermarket

Did you know that the superbug MRSA has been found in British pork on sale at both Asda and Sainsbury's? Three out 97 samples were found to be infected with MSRA CC398 a strain less virulent than the standard one but still deadly. This new strain is wide spread in Denmark were it is believed that as many as 12,000 people have been infected. Despite this Danish pig products are still being imported into the UK.
noolsg
Kildare Ireland
noolsg is female  noolsg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2016, 01:04 PM

Re: Superbugs from your Supermarket

Every time I hear something like this I think we should stop eating meat, but I never do
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2016, 01:41 PM

It'll be all about money as usual. Probably cheaper to import as it is with other things - all wrong though.

I can't remember the figures now, but a much higher percentage of raw poultry is infected than port, even the outside wrapping has proved to be infected with C.Diff.

Even 'healthjy' fruit and veg is covered in chemicals too though. I do think a lot about soft fruits like strawberries for example, where they will have absorbed chemicals through their soft surfaces, yet we do not peel them, and do not cook them, to destroy anything harmful. Same with lettuce and tomatoes.

It is not just meat that is potentially dodgy. At least that can be heated to a high temperature.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2016, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by noolsg ->
Every time I hear something like this I think we should stop eating meat, but I never do
Nor me, I didn't climb to the top of the food chain by eating greenery. Give me meat.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2016, 02:53 PM

If a hospital can give it out then why not a supermarket?
I wont be cutting down on the meat intake.
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2016, 03:01 PM

I managed to acquire MRSA while in hospital ,I didnt have it when I went in but had picked it up after being there for a week or more,I tested positive for it and had to wash in special solution for a few days and be tested again which came back negative fortunately
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2016, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Aysa ->
I managed to acquire MRSA while in hospital ,I didnt have it when I went in but had picked it up after being there for a week or more,I tested positive for it and had to wash in special solution for a few days and be tested again which came back negative fortunately

Unfortunately I'm not surprised Aysa.
My poor old Mum contracted C.Diff while she was in hospital too. They had to move her into isolation, and we had to wear gowns and gloves etc to visit her. She was 89 bless her heart.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2016, 03:27 PM

I don't shop in Tescos or Sainsburys for meat or any supermarket I buy from a local butcher (not that I eat much these days).

Handling meat wherever it comes from is all about good housekeeping, washing you hands after touching it, washing knives and chopping boards that have been used for meat before using them for anything else, storing meat in a none drip container at the bottom of the fridge .
Take these simple measures and you will be fine
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2016, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't shop in Tescos or Sainsburys for meat or any supermarket I buy from a local butcher (not that I eat much these days).

Handling meat wherever it comes from is all about good housekeeping, washing you hands after touching it, washing knives and chopping boards that have been used for meat before using them for anything else, storing meat in a none drip container at the bottom of the fridge .
Exactly meg, its all about common sense
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-12-2016, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

Even better, keep one chopping board for meat and another for other foods. Even better yet, I've actually stopped using my chopping boards for meat. Instead I tear off a sheet of freezer paper, fold it in half and lay it on my counter, shiny side up (so I'm not constantly cutting through the paper) then when I'm done, toss it. Then I wipe everything down with disinfectant. I buy those pop-up singles of disinfectant wipes and use those.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top