Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 04:20 PM

Cash Back Scam

Just read on FB about a scam going on where people are charged for cash back which they don't request. They don't realize it until they look at the receipt, the cashier takes the money apparently. Be careful out there folks, if your total is higher than you expect check it!
By the way my eldest had her debit card cloned yet again (4th time) this time in the U.S. she never uses cash points or online shopping.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 04:24 PM

Re: Cash Back Scam

Some people have said this is a hoax. Just read it myself, but yes it is wise to always check. As I enter all my purchases in a cash diary, and tend to keep to a budget, I do check my receipts anyway.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 04:31 PM

They're up to every trick in the book Twiz.
Sorry to hear about your eldest, maybe her safest bet is to use cash now that she's been done 4 times, whats to prevent a 5th? I use cash all the time, never carry large amounts with me just a few quid to get me through the day, anything expensive I take money out of the local post office.
Funny isn't it, all these measures on handling money were supposed to prevent us getting robbed.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 04:38 PM

This is what Hoax Slayer says:

The warning is unsubstantiated. There is no credible evidence to support the claim that such a scam is regularly or commonly taking place in the UK. The UK based message is nothing more than a mutated version of earlier US based warnings that have circulated since 2004. The US versions are also unsubstantiated and unsupported by any credible evidence.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 04:44 PM

It would be easy to do though wouldn't it?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
maybe her safest bet is to use cash now that she's been done 4 times, whats to prevent a 5th? I use cash all the time,
I'm with you on this Jem. Many decades ago I was in the forefront of using credit cards (My parents thought I was mad) but in those days they only handed them out to people they could trust and criminals hadn't a clue how to use them to swindle the honest citizens.

Now all that has changed, first the stupid card companies hand them out to anyone, and the criminals have learnt how to use them illegally.

So what's the answer, simple, revert to cash. From now on I am going to my bank on the first of the month and draw out all the cash we need for the month. If buying a car or a washing machine I shall write a cheque, let's see how these low lifes deal with that
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
This is what Hoax Slayer says:

The warning is unsubstantiated. There is no credible evidence to support the claim that such a scam is regularly or commonly taking place in the UK. The UK based message is nothing more than a mutated version of earlier US based warnings that have circulated since 2004. The US versions are also unsubstantiated and unsupported by any credible evidence.
Fine, so maybe that particular one is not valid, but there's hundreds that are, my brother had his card 'swiped' at a petrol station, the operator passed it under the counter for 5 seconds, that was all it took to copy the details, next day an airline ticket to Malaysia had been purchased.

My brother joked with me, "of all the countries, that would be the last place I'd want to go to" of course the card company credited him, but it's all the telephoning, e-mailing, and time wasted that you don't get compensated for.

Answer don't use them Yes, I know you have to for 'on line purchases' but apart from that I can't see what's wrong with cash (Unless of course you ain't got any )
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 06:47 PM

I use a different debit card for online purchases now, and only have a maximum balance of £50. This is an account I had to open when mum died and to have the estate funds kept till I paid out to my siblings. It is not linked to any savings or ISAs etc. It was the bank she used so I was advised by them to open my own account. (Can't remember why now, probably to do with taking in the death certificate and getting hers closed.)

Decided it was wise to keep it, especially after having my day to day account hacked recently.
justinY
New Member!
CA,USA
justinY is male 

08-07-2014, 02:49 PM

Beware of scammers as you might be the next victim. Seniors are the most prone to this kind of malpractice. Thus, seniors and their loved ones should be very suspicious. If financial abuse happens to you, break the silence and talk about it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2014, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
It would be easy to do though wouldn't it?
Yes but only a fool would try it they have to sign onto tills so if a cashier did this they would be quickly found. Making it very unusual for anyone to try it I would say.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top