Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 10:47 AM

Re: The latest in 'Cold calls '

There's a number you can call to stop this nonsense, it's a service that's provided free, you register with them over the phone, I never get any more begging calls.
Yola
Yola is female  Yola has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 11:51 AM

The Telephone Preference Service can be accessed via the phone but you can also register online. Over time (it takes a little while to update callers' lists) your should receive fewer and fewer cold calls.

The main ones I used to get prior to subscribing was for replacement windows . . . so I used to let them witter on and then told them I lived in a listed property and over my dead body would I insert plastic windows LOL!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 12:38 PM

Modern communications with access to offshore call centres means belonging to the Telephone Preference Service means little these days. Most of the cold calls I get now are from people with American accents, they are often based in the Philippines.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 01:16 PM

Lol I'll have to remember that one Meg!
Yola
Yola is female  Yola has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 01:38 PM

If the lists are being bought on behalf of companies based in/operating in the UK then the law stands and they are obliged to adhere to the TPS rules even if the actual call centres are based outside of the UK. The call maker must by law tell you on behalf of who they are calling and who is the owner or the renter of the data if you ask - I'm aware though that many don't and will end the call.

The UK's law on cold calling (whether business or residential) is one of the most lax in Europe - in most countries you are only allowed full opt-in cold calling.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 06:33 PM

What annoyed me was the "ghost" calls, you pick up the phone and nobody's there, all dialled by a computer, they can dial up to 20 numbers and the first person to pick up the phone is the dummy.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top