Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2012, 07:32 AM

Re: Backups... Do You?

I have a program that backs up my files to seperater HDD's on my computer when I close whatever program I am using, one for Documents, one for Photo's one for miscellanious.

Plus I use memory sticks for ones that I need to work on when I am using my laptop.
marpaul
North Cumbria
marpaul is female  marpaul has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2012, 11:14 PM

Its interesting seeing what people do for backing up. I used to use cds and dvds and these days I use a hard drive but have to admit to not backing up as regularly as I should. My work stuff is all ok as I use a web base system.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2012, 03:06 AM

I have an Apple iMac that I backup automatically every 15 minutes using the built-in software known as Time Machine. I also back up my photographs online at SmugMug and my music collection on Amazon's Cloud. The last service saved me recently when an iTunes upgrade destroyed my music on my computer. I was able to delete all the damaged files, download the latest version of iTunes and then download my collection from the cloud. All this cost me only time.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2012, 04:08 PM

I don't store created files or photos on the C: drive. I have a second internal hard drive (D:) for this.

Also on D: are a few disk images of the whole working system. These come in useful when I want to try out various programs and generally mess around with the computer.

A disk image will restore the computer to how it was before any programs were trialled or any 'playing around was done'. It's a bit like the the ultimate in System Restore and saves reinstalling the OS and programs should anything go really wrong.

Once in a while, the D: drive gets copied to an external USB drive.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2012, 04:19 PM

The problem with on location back-up is the chance of the computer being stolen or destroyed by natural disaster. Hard drives fail, CDs or flash drives are prone to failure. By backing up on a secure Internet site like I mentioned you can recover precious, important files even if the original computer is destroyed/stolen.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-06-2012, 04:33 PM

I see your point Bob but think if you back up to various local media, then something very bad would have to happen to lose everything from all media (got a good few DVD's as well). Also, important photos are also held by the rest of the family at other addresses, so all should be well I think.

I suppose I do have a certain amount of Cloud backup for photos by way of Photobucket. Many important examples of artwork, photos and computer screenshots shown in forums are stored there. Not quite the same as the high resolution images stored locally but a decent record nonetheless.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-07-2012, 01:55 PM

I should do something... my laptop was reluctant to start up this morning and ran some recovery program. It's up and running but I won't tempt fate further... copying all the family pics to a USB drive and my files to DVDs.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2012, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
I should do something... my laptop was reluctant to start up this morning and ran some recovery program. It's up and running but I won't tempt fate further... copying all the family pics to a USB drive and my files to DVDs.
Certainly better late than never but wise to work out a regular routine for the future because hard disks don't always warn you when they are about to fail..
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2012, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Certainly better late than never but wise to work out a regular routine for the future because hard disks don't always warn you when they are about to fail..
My laptop is 5 years old as well. I can't expect it to last much longer I suppose.
wishbone
south wales
wishbone is male  wishbone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2012, 11:08 PM

could any of you explain to me please about Dell Datasafe does
that backup my files, photos etc.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top